Options

Learning PJ Songs

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm picking up guitar and I guess I'm asking which PJ song is the easiest to pick up? I've been toying with Wishlist, In Hiding, Leash, and Indifference and so far I have Indifference down the best. Suggestions? I'm still just trying to read tablature and play guitar period so I don't really know much about music theory yet.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Elderly Woman is like 3 chords if I remember correctly
    ummm Nothingman
    Better Man
    Daughter is easy but the tuning is weird but it sounds awesome
    Immortality
    Wave came crashing...
  • Options
    chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    satans bed for the most part is fairly easy to pick up...at least the riff and chorus
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • Options
    Betterman started hurting my fingers after two hours. Small Town looked a bit more complicated than three chords.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    i recently got the chords for 'Thin Air' and its dead easy. try that one out.
    or 'Footsteps'
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    get elderly woman down dude. there are 3 'parts' to learn. versus, chorus, and pre chorus parts. pre chorus is 3 chords, chrous is 4 chords and versus is 3 of the same chords as chorus. its easy

another easy song to learn is rockin in the freeworld, just 3 chords. get cracking!

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    not for you
    whipping
    i am mine
    long road
    thin air
    lukin

these are a few off the top of my head that have simple chords
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    I mostly learned how by messing around with an acoustic while watching touring band 2000

long road is perfect to start with so you can tune up with them

but other easy fun songs to learn are

Down
    Don't gimme no lip
    last kiss
    last exit (after you get the timing)
    whipping
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    I mostly learned how by messing around with an acoustic while watching touring band 2000

long road is perfect to start with so you can tune up with them

but other easy fun songs to learn are

Down
    Don't gimme no lip
    last kiss
    last exit (after you get the timing)
    whipping

I completely suck arse at learning strumming patterns. I haven't learnt a single Pearl Jam song, because I'm totally retarded when it comes to listening to chord strumming and imitating it. Everyone keeps saying small town is easy. . . but I can't get it, and it drives me crazy. Picking is no problem, just a matter of practice. I can play lots of little blues licks, and I can do Pink Floyd's "Is there anybody out there?" from start to finish no problem at all. I think I need a lesson from somebody to help me with this one. Did anyone else have this problem when they were learning? Most people I know have the opposite problem, ie they can pick up a strumming pattern easily but can't fingerpick.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    I completely suck arse at learning strumming patterns. I haven't learnt a single Pearl Jam song, because I'm totally retarded when it comes to listening to chord strumming and imitating it. Everyone keeps saying small town is easy. . . but I can't get it, and it drives me crazy. Picking is no problem, just a matter of practice. I can play lots of little blues licks, and I can do Pink Floyd's "Is there anybody out there?" from start to finish no problem at all. I think I need a lesson from somebody to help me with this one. Did anyone else have this problem when they were learning? Most people I know have the opposite problem, ie they can pick up a strumming pattern easily but can't fingerpick.
    one, two and three and one, two and three and one, two and three and........

the ones, twos and threes are downstrokes, and the "and"s are upstrokes
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    StuffnJunk wrote:

If you want to get a little fancier, just hit the bass notes on one, and the lower three strings on two and three and.
  • Options
    I have the strumming pattern "problem" as well. It has been killing me on songs like Incubus - Drive and songs like that. Chord changes, everything else has been going great darn strumming patterns.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:

Nope, still not getting it. Can you tell me where the changes are?

I seriously think there's something wrong with my brain in this respect.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    You change on one, where one is the striking of the bass note and the two and three and are a down-up-down-up on the bottom three strings. And really the only changing you're doing is moving your index and middle finger to different bass notes.
  • Options
    kernowkernow Posts: 4
    Try 'Wishlist' , C / F/ G / F just strum along and you'll figure out where the hammer ons come. I think Eddie uses an E-BOW for the violin-type effect on the solo...Sounds sweet on my 12 string, have a go !
    Gimme Corduroy!
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Scubascott wrote:
    Nope, still not getting it. Can you tell me where the changes are?

I seriously think there's something wrong with my brain in this respect.

http://www.tablatures.tk/tabs.php?id=9&page=1

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

all you need is the free trial program called guitarpro.. it has a 15 day trial but after that you can still use it anyway... you just cant save anything or do prints of tabs or make changes to the tabs (i'm thinking of buying it as its so handy).

but the genius of it is that it has a midi backing file of drums, bass, etc.. but, essentially, you can slow tempo right down to 25%, 50% or 75% of the normal speed and it really helps with strumming patterns... i mean really helps. I learned NO WAY from Yield and the strumming was difficult to follow, so i loaded it onto guitarpro and slowed it down and it was invaluable.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    best place to go for PJ tabs is giventowail.com. As for starting songs...

Long Road
    Elderly Woman
    Release
    Last Kiss
    Indifference

all4
  • Options
    I have Indifference, Thin Air, and I Am Mine pretty well. Betterman I can't really hit solidly. It seems like I'm always missing a note somewhere.

I'll give wishlist and down a try later tonight.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    http://www.tablatures.tk/tabs.php?id=9&page=1

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

all you need is the free trial program called guitarpro.. it has a 15 day trial but after that you can still use it anyway... you just cant save anything or do prints of tabs or make changes to the tabs (i'm thinking of buying it as its so handy).

but the genius of it is that it has a midi backing file of drums, bass, etc.. but, essentially, you can slow tempo right down to 25%, 50% or 75% of the normal speed and it really helps with strumming patterns... i mean really helps. I learned NO WAY from Yield and the strumming was difficult to follow, so i loaded it onto guitarpro and slowed it down and it was invaluable.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Unfortunately its been even longer since I've seen my guitar than it has since I've seen my girlfriend. I occasionally play my flatmate's one when he's not looking. It'll be good to get back and be able to spend hours playing guitar instead of writing my thesis.

I think the strumming pattern for small town just clicked into place for me though. One of the bootleg versions just came around in my playlist, and I'm strumming away on my air guitar now. Pretty sure I've got it. Its like a light suddenly coming on. I'll have to go home and try it on an actual guitar now.

The same thing happened when I figured out Led Zeppelin's 'Friends' I worked out the strumming pattern for that in the shower. . . see I told you the way the guitar part of my brain works isn't normal.

-C Addison
  • Options
    Scubascott wrote:
    I think the strumming pattern for small town just clicked into place for me though. One of the bootleg versions just came around in my playlist, and I'm strumming away on my air guitar now. Pretty sure I've got it. Its like a light suddenly coming on. I'll have to go home and try it on an actual guitar now.

That happens to me all the time. When I first started playing and taking lessons I could do stuff during my lesson, but when I attempted at home, I'd fail miserably. I was trying to work on the strumming pattern for Filter's "Take A Picture" and just couldn't do it. Then, the next night, at the dinner table I start tapping it out with my fork. Drove my family crazy but I go it, thats what counts!
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    For the verse of Elderly Woman the chord changes are on certain lyrics.
    starts on a d with the I in the first verse. Change to a c chord on the word seem. change to a g chord on the word recognize. Change back to the c chord the word face. Then you should be able to hear when it changes back to the g chord. You strum out the full chord for a part then change to the the 3 high notes for the last chord then it starts over. Just remember the chord changes fall on certain words.

The chorus is quite the same. chord changes falling on the words. Hearts, thoughts, fade, fade, and away.

If I remember the transition from verse to chorus is just c and a chords
  • Options
    This thread is awesome. Everybody sharing the love and helping each other. I love pearl jam fans. . . Thanks guys.

-C Addison