Options

Drummers: Help!

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited December 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So my girlfriend is a drummer, and for our anniversary next month I'm going to get her a Gibraltar add-on cymbal grabber arm with a Paiste 14" crash.

Does anyone have experience with Paiste stuff? I hear they have a good reputation overall, but seeing as I'm a student I'm stuck with getting the 201 Bronze series, and am just wondering if it's a step above some of the Sabian or Zildjian low-end stuff.

Also, if anyone has the grabber arm (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-Grabber-Cymbal-Arm?sku=446265)
do you think it will hold a 14" crash? No clue how much that weighs.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    You should do fine with that. One of the reviews reckons it'll hold anything under 18 inches if it's tight enough.

I just laughed... I'm going to hell.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    I should be asking YOU for advice on how to find a girlfriend that is a drummer. I have no experience with Paiste cymbals. IMO, I feel like they're the ones for people who don't want to be mainstream and get Sabian or Zildjian (kind of like liking a baseball team besides the Red Sox or Yankees). I've heard good things though, and that arm should definitely hold a 14" crash. I have a Gibraltar rack and it's sturdy.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i own nothing but paistes... the 201s although ive never used them, are crap. those are like ultra beginner quality cymbals. atleast get the her the pst3 or pst5 cymbals. maybe the alpha series if you wanna spend a little more.

just go on http://www.paiste.com, they show everything

oh and that grabber may be too small. i use a similar pearl arm for my 10' splash and every time i play the arm moves and i have to re adjust it. its no biggie though.....honestly though, for 27 bux you might as well go to guitar center and get a whole new cymbal stand from PDP, its a company based off of DW. those are about 30-35 bux.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I heard the sound clips for both the PST 5 and the 201 and to me it sounds like for both at 14" the 201 sounds a little more splash-like, which is kind of what I was going for. I originally wanted to get her a splash+grabber arm but I was afraid the splash wouldn't be as versatile as a second crash with a different sound. I think the PST 5 sounds more like the Sabian XS crash she has now. (She just has a standard 5-piece Pearl Export kit with Sabian 18" ride/16" crash/hats)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    well i'm picky with my cymbals. i hate shitty sounding cymbals. i have these old 90's alpha hi hats that have such a bad sound IMO, i need good cymbals for me to really enjoy myself playing. i bought a $200 17' 2002 crash and a $70 10' alpha splash a few weeks ago. im also hoping i get these $300 2002 soundedge hi hats for xmas, but i dont think i am. if she doesnt really care about how they sound then buy the 201's. but u still might as well buy the pdp cymbal stand for just a few bucks more.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I should be asking YOU for advice on how to find a girlfriend that is a drummer. I have no experience with Paiste cymbals. IMO, I feel like they're the ones for people who don't want to be mainstream and get Sabian or Zildjian (kind of like liking a baseball team besides the Red Sox or Yankees). I've heard good things though, and that arm should definitely hold a 14" crash. I have a Gibraltar rack and it's sturdy.

EXplain that drumming is like dancing, needing that upper and lower body independence (simplified as, you need to be able to walk and chew gum), and so she will be much better at it than you.
    It's also the best exercise for losing weight and getting trim.
    It's also, according to my wife the novice drummer, a valid excuse to drink beer and fart.
    Her set of Sabian B3's are OK. Cymbals are seriously expensive bits of kit. She wants another crash ( a bigger one 18" I think) and set of hihats, so she has more mobility on her kit (mainly because I have her playing Metallica, cos she can buy the music) and that will cost a silly amount of money. I think that is on the shopping list for LA.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah I think it's a tone thing really. I just don't like the sound of the cheaper cymbals from whatever brand, but Paiste makes good stuff for the most part. It's kind of like the chinese made beginner package guitars... they just throw materials toegther without much rhyme or reason and call it a cymbal.

The way to do it if possible is to go find a music store with a cymbal room and get a feel for the timbre and over all sound quality in your price range, you won't be disapointed to pay a little more if it sounds better.

Dude... drummer... girlfriend.... score.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    If you watch this clip, you can hear what cheap hi-hats and a cheap crash-ride sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzwKLwtUqpc
    Sabian B8 Pro Hi-Hats
    Zildjian ZBT+ Crash-Ride

Cymbals ARE really expensive and I can't wait to get a new ride and hi hats (Easily $600 for the package). The problem is that I also really want a sonic blue 60's Classic Player Strat. I think I need to drop an instrument.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Options
    I have almost always used Paiste cymbals (and I am a Yankees Fan). Something about them. I do however use Sabian Xcelerator Hats and a Sabian Splash. Every Zildjian I have ever owned, broke. Call it coincidence, I call it money gone. I have not roken any of my Paiste or Sabian.

I agree though, try to get at least the PST5...they are decent sounding cymbals for the money. The Sabian XS20 are also good sounding cymbals for the money.

Try going into places that sell used cymbals. I picked up a 22" Paiste 2002 power ride for $70 probably because someone put duct tape and crap all over it. A little elbow grease and time = Awesome ride for dirt cheap.

I recommend http://www.massmusic.net for new Paiste (and other). You have to request prices for Paiste.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Options
    I use Paiste. I like em. Mind you, I really don't know all that much about the technical side of things (like tone and stuff). I just buy what I think sounds good. Hope that helps.:)