Options

First Song Recording

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So here's some music I wrote. Bear with me, it's a long song, no lyrics, no drums, no bass. Just my guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=761200&content=songinfo&songID=6186741

Constructive criticism welcome, the recording quality is crappy due to the microphone involved and also due to my sloppy playing.

The middle part (4:00 to 6:30 or something like that) is improvised and could probably benefit from a solo. Ideas welcome.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Nobody listened to it? :(

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    First off, let me say...that I really like it! I think you have a definite beginning to what could really be a nice song. I think that it could definitely be condensed pretty easily into more of a "normal" song length without losing anything. It seemed to me like it was basically just the softer "verse" part and the louder "chorus" part played over and over again, with the bridge in the middle. The bridge could use some refining, but it seems like you already know that. Keep working with it, and try to develop it some more. Add words (if you want to) as a lot of times that can carry the music in different directions and dictate the length of each part. Nice work though and keep it up!
  • Options
    Hey Nova. I really liked it man. I am not really qualified to make any suggestions but I think you know what you want out of the song and know where to make the necessary changes. Sounds good though man!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • Options
    ianvomsaalianvomsaal Suncoast, FL Posts: 1,224
    Cool -
    I'd suggest maybe condensing it, but even more-so adding a melody of some kind (instrumental or vocal).
    Adding a melody helps grab the listeners attention.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • Options
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the comments. My girlfriend is a drummer so the next thing will be to record and mix in some drums. I've got a bridge worked out I think, and maybe I could raise the tempo slightly, that would help with condensing it. ~5:00 is a little more reasonable right?

Problem with adding vocals is that I have no lyrics yet. Again, a work in progress. I'll repost a new recording whenever I get a chance to make it.

Mike, I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that I used YOUR old LP to make the cut. :D

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1