Guitar Building

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
In the fall I decided I'm going to take a guitar building/shaping class. The class will do all the woodworking and painting, but all the electrics will be up to me to install (tuning knobs too). I haven't done anything like this before so I'm trying to do some research beforehand to see how much this will cost/how much work it'll take.

Anyone have experience with this? The guitar will likely be a hollow-body with f-holes, for a more jazz/blues style. Suggestions for pickups? I was thinking double humbuckers, might run about $150 for a pair. Then I suppose I need connections and an output jack, tuning knobs, treble/rythym switch, what else am I forgetting here?
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    i'd suggest a ken armstrong floating type pick up.

the body isnt cut up,and this helps the acoustic tone of a hollow body.

in any case,good luck with it.

i dig the hollow body sound.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    bump, other reccomendations welcome

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Get a rockin' pickguard :)

Strap knobs??

I would love to build guitars!!

I'm taking my Carpentry Apprenticeship after school and I've always thought that would be so cool!!

Good luck!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Novawind wrote:
    In the fall I decided I'm going to take a guitar building/shaping class. The class will do all the woodworking and painting, but all the electrics will be up to me to install (tuning knobs too). I haven't done anything like this before so I'm trying to do some research beforehand to see how much this will cost/how much work it'll take.

Anyone have experience with this? The guitar will likely be a hollow-body with f-holes, for a more jazz/blues style. Suggestions for pickups? I was thinking double humbuckers, might run about $150 for a pair. Then I suppose I need connections and an output jack, tuning knobs, treble/rythym switch, what else am I forgetting here?

Especially if you are building a hollowbody (not recommended for first build) you will probably want to shield all the electronics with some copper or aluminum.

You need a soldering gun, solder, some spare wire for grounding the pots, capacitors (get some decent hovelands, orange drops, etc), binding if you are going to try that, tuners, nut, truss rod if building a neck along with frets, inlay markers, oils.... i could go on but those are pretty much the essentials.

It is a ton of work, but it is a ton of fun too!
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Thanks, will give it a look.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    These places have a lot of good hardware, and are good sources for ideas: http://www.stewmac.com/
    http://www.allparts.com/
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 467
    Oh, and be prepared to spend more money on tools than the guitar itself if you are #1 building your first one #2 are building from scratch like i do (i.e. cut from raw wood and not a premade kit)
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix