Amps

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
OK so we get a lot of talk on here about guitars and pedals, but what about amps?!

I know all you guys have your favorites, so I'll make this two choices:

Favorite amp for cleans?
Favorite amp for overdrive/distortion/grit?

For me, I'd have to go with the 59 Bassman cleans.
Gritty I'd have to say Mesa/Boogie Dual rectifier, Dave Grohl-style.

Note: You don't have to own these amps, just out of the ones you've heard, which ones suit your fancy best?
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Cleans: Fender Twin Reverb
    Dirty: Marshall JCM

Having said that, I love my amp (Traynor YCV80Q) and wouldn't change a thing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Cleans: Peavey JSX
    Distortion: Peavey JSX
    Joe Satriani's tone is just awesome, this is my dream amp. For now, my Valveking will just have to do!
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Cleans: Peavey JSX
    Distortion: Peavey JSX
    Joe Satriani's tone is just awesome, this is my dream amp. For now, my Valveking will just have to do!

I saw Joe recently, sat at his feet in teh front row. A local stroe has one of the amps/cabs that he used on his tour , autographed, but they want a hefty preium for the autograph. I was seriously thinking about it, might still happen yet.
    The JSX is actually really cheap here, 1/2 the price of most similar amps, I agree, great tones !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I have so many favorites, I can never decide.

Well, I have a solo gig tonight and I love my trusty Fender Deluxe Reverb for clean at about 3, and then the same trusty Fender Deluxe Reverb turned up to about 7 for nice dirty sound.

It's a Musician's Board "Eric Shannon and Exhausted" night tonight. :D
    I'm using Eric's Shannon Overdrive, Compressor, and the UniPhaser. They're outstanding!

Then through an Ibanez AD9 Delay to an akai headrush delay to the Roland Loop Station.
    That goes into Exhausted's handmade "Grumpy Cockatiel" brand A/B switch to the different channels on my Deluxe.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Haven't tried either of these, but I know from hearing records

Clean - Marshall Silver Jubilee or Major 200W (John Frusciante)

Dirty - Marshall JTM 45 or some sorta Plexi (AC/DC)

These are both pretty much my two favorite basic tones ever.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Clean-Fender roc-Pro 700 and the Hughes & Kettner ATS120

Dirty-Fender Hot Rod Delxue or Fender Roc Pro 700.

For Bass: Peavey TNT130
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    honestly, the deluxe reverb is the only amp i've ever really loved in personal experience. for both cleans and dirties. volume somewhere between 4 and 5 and just varying guitar output. one pedal for more push.

my favourite clean tone ever from what i've heard was from jeff buckley's vibrolux.
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    Honestly....I HATE marshall, but the plexis are my favorite for everything
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Novawind wrote:
    Favorite amp for cleans?
    Favorite amp for overdrive/distortion/grit?
    The definitive CLEAN tube amp is the Fender Super Reverb 4x10.
    BOTTOM LINE the Super Reverb has the best clean tone (I don't want to hear any more about it) :D

Overdrive -- Well, probably a Bogner - though this is not as definitive as "what's the best clean amp".
    Everybody's idea of what overdrive should sound like is different - Clean is Clean (indisputable), overdrive is subjective.
    (I personally like the Bogner Shiva, but the Bogner Uberschall would probably have best overall overdrive tones).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    Honestly....I HATE marshall, but the plexis are my favorite for everything

Just wondering because the only Marshalls I have played were the MG80(used as a cab for the Roc Pro700(during April-June of 2006), and my Girlfriends Marshall JCM triple lead full stack, I wanted to know why. I'm indifferent, I don't know enough about them to have an opinion. Why do you hate them?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    If I had to pick on eamp for the rest of my life, Mesa Dual Rectifier wihtout a doubt. Awesome cleans, breaks up easy, brilliant pushed clean, wooly raw blues, and every degree of OD/distortion all the way to hell.
    Only drawback, is that they are VERY LOUD !!!

Apart from that, every tube amp is a musical instrument in it's own right. All mine are my favourites, but I have liked every tube amp I have played too.
    The harmonic sweetness of the Class A Bad Cat is very hard to beat, in either clean or overdriven departmentts. The Triamp has a versatility that rivals the Mesa, better footswitching options and a civility that makes it a great every day amp, plus it is damn pretty. The OD fall short of the hellacious sound of a rectum wrecker though, though not by much.
    Haven't heard my Mesa 2C+, it's yet to arrive, still at Mesa beingh serviced, but I might even manage to post spme sound clips when it is finally here.
    The Lonestar cleans are awesome, the OD is less to my style, it's probably my least favourite, but it's my only combo too, so it's staying for the time being.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Surprised no love for solid state amps on cleans. Solid state is all about clean. So:

Clean: Roland JC 120
    Dirty: Lexicon Signature 284 (3 Watts per channel, two stage pre... it's a recording amp... but easy to get lots of different levels and layers of dirt.)
    The Roc Pro is a hybrid with tube drive ;)
  • pj10alive42pj10alive42 Posts: 381
    Marshall JCM DSL is perfect for both...if you are going for just the head, get the 50 watt model over the 100 watt model...it has a better breaking point.
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Was thinking about a Valve Jr sometime in the future as a small amp that I could crank (5W) and not destroy eardrums. Anyone have one/like theirs?

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Novawind wrote:
    Was thinking about a Valve Jr sometime in the future as a small amp that I could crank (5W) and not destroy eardrums. Anyone have one/like theirs?

I have one, there are a couple others on this board that have one. I play it thru a 2x12 avatar cabinet, with a Vintage 30 and a G12H30. Thinking about another cabinet single 12 with a 25 watt greenback in it.

After doing some mods to my circuit and really fine tuning it to one gutiar, it sounds really nice. I don't have all the EL84 fizz when it's on kill that the stock ones have, and have tightened up the flabbiness of it. Sounds good.

Oh and don't let five watts fool you.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Guitar

Clean: '59 bassman.

Dirty: JTM 45, need a OCD in front of it, those amps don't distort all that much.

Bass

Clean: Acoustic 360

Distorted: Ampeg SVT
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I have one, there are a couple others on this board that have one. I play it thru a 2x12 avatar cabinet, with a Vintage 30 and a G12H30. Thinking about another cabinet single 12 with a 25 watt greenback in it.

After doing some mods to my circuit and really fine tuning it to one gutiar, it sounds really nice. I don't have all the EL84 fizz when it's on kill that the stock ones have, and have tightened up the flabbiness of it. Sounds good.

Oh and don't let five watts fool you.

So you had to mod it to get good sounds out of it? I'm kind of wary about that because I'm not exactly the best with electronics. I'd be willing to try but still worried that I'd break something/put something in the wrong place and just screw up the amp and waste $100+.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I saw Joe recently, sat at his feet in teh front row. A local stroe has one of the amps/cabs that he used on his tour , autographed, but they want a hefty preium for the autograph. I was seriously thinking about it, might still happen yet.
    The JSX is actually really cheap here, 1/2 the price of most similar amps, I agree, great tones !!
    Hell yeah! The price isn't bad and his live tone just blew me away, I was towards the front of the Birmingham Symphony Hall gig. Incredible.
  • Novawind wrote:
    So you had to mod it to get good sounds out of it? I'm kind of wary about that because I'm not exactly the best with electronics. I'd be willing to try but still worried that I'd break something/put something in the wrong place and just screw up the amp and waste $100+.

They sound ok stock. with either a Svetlana in the pre amp section and a JJ in the power tube section, or JJ's all around they are ok. I bought that to specific play with the circuit, and perfect it to what I wanted.

Some people dig the flabbiness when it's on kill, I like it a little more tight.

It's really an easy circuit to be honest with you. And we are talking parts that only cost a dollar or something (this is way more then the actual cost etc...).

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I was at the "secret" Cornell show last night. Everyone was set up on Komet amps.

Anyone ever play one of these?
  • sennin wrote:
    I was at the "secret" Cornell show last night. Everyone was set up on Komet amps.

Nope, but the guitarists' tones are gorgeous.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    sennin wrote:

you can get the info on them at TGP. The guitarist provided some photos etc.

actually I think I made a post on it here earlier.

I've never been close up to one in person sorry.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.