Epi Les Paul owners

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
How do you like your Epis, and what type do you have?

I was looking into just getting a standard for my birthday, in black with a case. My real question is how are the tuners and the pickups. I could upgrade those eventually, $60 for the tuners and say $160-$200 on the pups. Just curious how they perform stock.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have a studio and I love it. Fucking fantastic for the price, never let me down. A couple of friends of mine bought the standard (fancier) and it's even better.

edit: Tuners are pretty stable but like most guitars the pick ups could probably use some switching. I haven't done it yet after about 3 years of owning it though, so it's not a nessecity or anything.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    Novawind wrote:
    How do you like your Epis, and what type do you have?

I was looking into just getting a standard for my birthday, in black with a case. My real question is how are the tuners and the pickups. I could upgrade those eventually, $60 for the tuners and say $160-$200 on the pups. Just curious how they perform stock.

I have a standard and love it. Tremendous first guitar.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    I've had my black standard about 6 years. Put the Bigsby on 5 years ago. LOVE IT.
    I did have to replace the tuners about 4 years ago though, the plastic cracked and came off on three of them.
    I play it through a Vox AC-15 in tiny bars to 600+ sized clubs and it sounds great. Never done me wrong.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • i had a les paul classic plus, it was a nice guitar quality wise and sound wise, just didnt quite do it for my own personal music so i ended up trading it in.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I have a Les Paul Ultra, which is similar to the Standard except with a chambered body and a body contour on the back. I really like it's tone, it's tuners (Grovers), it's looks, and how it plays sitting down, but when I'm playing it standing the neck is heavier than the body and naturally droops downward, which really sucks. For that reason alone I've considered trading it in for something else.

But I think the general consensus is that they're a lot better than they used to be, and putting new pups on there you almost have a <$600 Gibson LP.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    DOSW wrote:
    I have a Les Paul Ultra, which is similar to the Standard except with a chambered body and a body contour on the back. I really like it's tone, it's tuners (Grovers), it's looks, and how it plays sitting down, but when I'm playing it standing the neck is heavier than the body and naturally droops downward, which really sucks. For that reason alone I've considered trading it in for something else.

But I think the general consensus is that they're a lot better than they used to be, and putting new pups on there you almost have a <$600 Gibson LP.

I think the neck-heaveyness has to do with the chambered body.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think the neck-heaveyness has to do with the chambered body.

Yeah, definitely. After posting that I've been trying to think of ways to make it better, and after a little bit of fiddling around I realized that it helps to have the strap a certain length. I also had a chance to go to GC so I bought a Levi suede strap for $15 (!). That is a little bit more grippy which helps as well. It's better, but I'd still probably go with a Standard or Custom if I could do it again.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    friend of mine had an epi les paul. this was about a decade ago. i don't know how they are now, but back then the action on those things was just a tad bit too high and tight. So, he had the action lowered at some shop around here. He also replaced the pick ups with ones that didn't screech in front of an amp. After that it was great.