YCV40 Trouble

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I received my YCV40 last night and plugged it in. I had the standby off, and I fired it up. I let the tubes warm up for about a minute, then the volume appeared. I did some light playing straight from my strat (no effects) and the tone sounded great, but there was a lot of crackling/popping that lasted for about two minutes. After that, the amp cut out completely. I've tried plugging it in again and it won't even come on now.

Could this just be that the tubes are bad and I need to replace the power tubes, the preamps, or both? Or is it more likely that the fuse is blown. I got the amp used but it's in great cosmetic condition, which leads me to beleive that it wasn't outright abused or anything. Any suggestions?
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Unplug the amp check to make sure the tubes are seated properly.

It could be power tubes, it could also be a bad preamp tube.

It's probably the power tubes, that's what it sounds like to me.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Where are the Traynor owners around at. I know a few traynors exist that you can yank two of the power tubes and run half wattage. If it's a power tube I doubt it's all of them. it's a quick check. Just don't know if it can be done on this amp, and which two tubes to pull.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    So it turns out the fuse was blown, and (assuming no power surge to account for) there should be a short somewhere in the circuit board. I guess the only thing left to do is let a tech tinker with it, cause right now I'm ampless and my playing is really really quiet.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1