You guys wanna talk dumbles...?

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited May 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Someone wanna clue me in and tell me why its at that price right now?
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Actually, I'm gonna look very closely at that as an investment.
    A new Mesa Road King Head is $8K, with custom finish it comes to $10K, so that price is actually not too bad.

Any comments on whether iy is too chep or too expensive most welcome.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I couldn't imagine myself ever spending that much on a single piece of gear.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I couldn't imagine myself ever spending that much on a single piece of gear.

Ah well you see, I have a self-mananged superannuation fund, and I think that Dumble might be a valid investment. Personally, I would not spend it either.
    You might change your mind as you grow older if you havea successful career though.
    Music gear is so cheap compared to anyother hobby I know, even at those prices.

You have the most valuable thing of all of course, a father who plays and encourages you. I will never have that, no matter how much money I spend.
    Not that I am trying to buy success, of course, I'm not that naive or stupid.
    Ah well you see, I have a self-mananged superannuation fund, and I think that Dumble might be a valid investment. Personally, I would not spend it either.
    You might change your mind as you grow older if you havea successful career though.
    Music gear is so cheap compared to anyother hobby I know, even at those prices.

You have the most valuable thing of all of course, a father who plays and encourages you. I will never have that, no matter how much money I spend.
    Not that I am trying to buy success, of course, I'm not that naive or stupid.

Wow, I'll have to pass that along to my dad!

And you're right, maybe as I get older I could see spending more money, but I think the only thing missin from my collection at this point is a Les Paul, but I had my Strat screamin so nice tonight I couldn't think of anything else! I figure I got one more guitar in me before university.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I don't think he's the original owner.
    I believe that amp came out of an older studio (and a smoky studio at that - I may have played this exact amp).
    Yes, those are great sounding amps . . .
    However I think it's far too much to spend (especially since it's only a single 12" combo).
    That single 12" won't yield that much tone (you'll need an extension cab to get a good "tone" and make the amp really sing.
    So why spend that much on a single 12" combo - it'd be better to spend the $$ on a head and get it right from the start.
    Yeah Santana plays one, SRV played one, John Mayer plays them (he loves SRV), but not everyone can make them
    sound as good - I've heard some people sound very bad on them (it really seems to depend on the player).
    I think if these amps didn't cost an obscene amount of money, then people wouldn't hold them in such high regard.
    IMO - Dumbles are great amps . . . but there are other amps that are just as good (and don't cost nearly as much).

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    I don't think he's the original owner.
    I believe that amp came out of an older studio (and a smoky studio at that - I may have played this exact amp).
    Yes, those are great sounding amps . . .
    However I think it's far too much to spend (especially since it's only a single 12" combo).
    That single 12" won't yield that much tone (you'll need an extension cab to get a good "tone" and make the amp really sing.
    So why spend that much on a single 12" combo - it'd be better to spend the $$ on a head and get it right from the start.
    Yeah Santana plays one, SRV played one, John Mayer plays them (he loves SRV), but not everyone can make them
    sound as good - I've heard some people sound very bad on them (it really seems to depend on the player).
    I think if these amps didn't cost an obscene amount of money, then people wouldn't hold them in such high regard.
    IMO - Dumbles are great amps . . . but there are other amps that are just as good (and don't cost nearly as much).

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

I kinda hoped you would contribute here. there seems to be some inconsistenciex in his description, serial 215, "about 200 made", this one from teh mid eighties to nineties etc. If tehre was only 200 made, this would be one of teh last at no 215 , I would have thought.
    Also he has listed it as new, when it is clearly not.
    Without goign over old ground, I agree that they are probably not just "better". My interest was predominantly from an investment perspective. From what you are saying, this is not a premium item.
    You think it was silly before, the bidding on this has been steady, now around $18000 US. MAkes my Mark 2C+ look quite cheap really
    If I hadn't been out after Ian's comments, I would be now !!
    You think it was silly before, the bidding on this has been steady, now around $18000 US. MAkes my Mark 2C+ look quite cheap really
    If I hadn't been out after Ian's comments, I would be now !!
    Wow. 18 gs, that could buy you a pretty kick ass total setup.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    The only rule on the auction that seems werid to me is the 'no local pick-up'

Why would he say that?? Unless he wants to try and get some of his eBay seller fee back in the shipping cost I would assume.
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    The only rule on the auction that seems werid to me is the 'no local pick-up'

Why would he say that?? Unless he wants to try and get some of his eBay seller fee back in the shipping cost I would assume.

Yeah, I though there were a few sus things there, not least of which is the "new" description on a 20yr old amp.