Intonation

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I was playing around with my Epi LP and chromatic tuner, so I said what the hell, I tuned it standard open strings and then hit every fret on every string with the tuner to see how closely it lined up. It kinda fluctuated after about the fifth fret on all the strings, and I think only a handful up the neck actually were "in tune" where they were supposed to be according to the chromatic tuner (IE having the low E read E3 on the 12th fret as opposed to E2 open).

Just wondering, is the intonation off just cause it's an Epi? Are Gibsons a lot more accurate or is this just natural of all guitars everywhere?
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I think it would be a bit harsh to say that all Epiphones intonate badly. If the intonation is off, it might need adjusting. You can do this.
    Go back to the tuner, make sure your strings are fresh. Tune a string open, then go to the 12th fret and check the tuning there. If it is the same, your intonation is OK, if not, adjust the string length with the saddles until it is the same open and at the 12th fret. The 12th fret harmonic will also match.
    Then just repeat on all strings.
    If you have big frets and you fret too hard or a high action, that will also put your intonation out.

It's a bitch to admit that my Les Paul has more fret issues than any of the others including the Korean ESP Viper ltd. Asian does not mean that it is shit.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I don't know how to set it up on epis, but my American Strat needed to be intonated, most guitars do.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    INTONATION - Step By Step

1) tune the guitar.
    2) play the open string, and then the same string on the 12th fret (which is the octave).
    3) if the note played on the 12th fret is sharper or flater than the open sting, that string needs to be intonated.
    4) if it's sharp, the saddle needs to move back a little (away from your pickups) --->
    5) if it's flat, the saddle needs to move in a little closer (towards your pickups) <---
    6) just slacken the string a bit before you try to move the saddle.
    7) now rotate the saddle screw a little (clockwise or counterclockwise) depending which way the saddle needs to move (sharp or flat).
    8) now tune the string back up and see where you stand (you might need to do that a few time per string to get it spot on).
    9) just repeat the process until you get the tuner to read the same when each string is played open and at the 12th fret.

Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I think all guitars do at somepoint. My Epi-SG Special was made wrong...fuckin' morons put the damn bridge in the wrong place and now, it will never be in tune...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • you may very well need proper adjustments to your guitar. take it to a local tech and ask him to give it a good set up and adjust the intonation. but to answer your question, fixed tuning instraments are impossible to have every note completely in tune. do a google search on tempered tuning.
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    Great post...I learn something new every time I come to this board! :-)
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    you may very well need proper adjustments to your guitar. take it to a local tech and ask him to give it a good set up and adjust the intonation. but to answer your question, fixed tuning instraments are impossible to have every note completely in tune. do a google search on tempered tuning.

I have tried to understand tempered tuning, but I think you need to have perfect pitch to really get it. Otherewise it's like trying to explain colour to someone who only sees in black and white.
    I don't have perfect pitch (totally cloth-eared actually), so I can't hear the tones, so I never really get it.
    Music is not a competetion.