Options

How political will the next album be?

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited May 2008 in The Porch
Avocado was the most political album they ever made. Every song was about Iraq. Every song was about people dealing with the war. Through drugs Severed Hand. Through living in the moment Life Wasted. Through crying Army Reserve. And finally through dealing with yourself, and your life before you deal with the outside world, inside job.

I took the bands advice and for the last year and a half have listened to mostly non political stuff, dont watch the news, and havent read any political stuff. I have learned the truth in the statement the personal is political.

So do you all think the new album will be just as political?

Because it seemed what the band was trying to convey was that in order to deal with the problems in the world, you need to deal with your own problems and yourself first. Which I have been doing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I hope not
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Avocado was the most political album they ever made. Every song was about Iraq. Every song was about people dealing with the war. Through drugs Severed Hand. Through living in the moment Life Wasted. Through crying Army Reserve. And finally through dealing with yourself, and your life before you deal with the outside world, inside job.

Through surfing, Big Wave.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Avocado was the most political album they ever made.

It was also the worst.They tried too hard to be blunt about it and came out making cliched and meaningless songs.Don't get me wrong,Inside Job,Life Wasted and Unemployable and a couple of others are great songs but the reason people still listen to Ten,Vitalogy and Yield is because its themes and lyrics are timeless. I can listen to those albums now and still hear something good to be said about life...can I do that with Avacado?No.

PJ pulled off politics on Riot Act because no one else was doing it at the time,look at all the boos they got from their own fans for playing Bu$hleaguer,by the time Avacado rolled around everyone from Pink to Bright Eyes was writing crappy opportunistic songs about how much they hate George Bush.

Into The Wild was a step in the right direction towards more personal songs. I think even No More was pretty good,was smart and articulate as opposed to dumb and angry.I dunno,I just hope they make an album I can listen to with my headphones on and get a new perspective on life,not just the same old preaching that I get from every other 'political' rock band and that I got from Avacado.Any idiot could point out how the war in Iraq has gone wrong.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I hope not

Me too.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I think it probably will be as political. It's whats in the air right now....what most people think about and the only thing on the news.
    Although....I dont think it's "political" stuff as much as it is "human interest" stuff. Meaningful bands making meaningful music tend to touch on things that affect the masses....topics that cause debates......subjects that make you stop & go "hummm".
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 879
    To answer your question, I think it will be somewhat political. Maybe just as, if not more than previous albums. Although, Bush won't be in office when it's released (fortunately) so they may lay off a little. You gotta remember the last 8 years of albums being released were under one of the worst, if not the worst administration ever. Doesn't matter what your affiliation, it's hard to deny that at this point. The guys are outspoken on the issues, so you have to expect to hear about their opinions either through song, art, interviews, whatever. And politics can definitely affect your personal life. I think it depends more on who you are. If your close family member is in Iraq or Afghanistan, it's gonna affect your personal life. If you're feeling the effects of the economy, increased gas prices, food cost etc. it's affecting your personal life.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    It depends on whether they want to sell records to just their hardcore base or if they want to expand their base and bring back many of the fans who have left over the years.

Another political album will not help if they want to get back in the mainstream.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    no matter the subject matter of the next album, o'brien is on board for the first time in 10 years and its going to kick some major ass, so just shut up and listen to it and love it, regardless of what its about.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256

I took the bands advice and for the last year and a half have listened to mostly non political stuff, dont watch the news, and havent read any political stuff. I have learned the truth in the statement the personal is political.

So do you all think the new album will be just as political?

Because it seemed what the band was trying to convey was that in order to deal with the problems in the world, you need to deal with your own problems and yourself first. Which I have been doing.

I have doubts about if the next album will be strong political. May be it will release close the elections, no? The scene political has great chances to change. In this case, you can have one album very, very dated for the new times. I think they are thinking about this.
    But, of course, you can do a political album talking about others problems of the world.

this my doubt.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,921
    I would rather hear political stuff than personal stuff. But I also just graduated with a degree in Political Science haha.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Carlos D wrote:
    It was also the worst.They tried too hard to be blunt about it and came out making cliched and meaningless songs.Don't get me wrong,Inside Job,Life Wasted and Unemployable and a couple of others are great songs but the reason people still listen to Ten,Vitalogy and Yield is because its themes and lyrics are timeless. I can listen to those albums now and still hear something good to be said about life...can I do that with Avacado?No.

PJ pulled off politics on Riot Act because no one else was doing it at the time,look at all the boos they got from their own fans for playing Bu$hleaguer,by the time Avacado rolled around everyone from Pink to Bright Eyes was writing crappy opportunistic songs about how much they hate George Bush.

Into The Wild was a step in the right direction towards more personal songs. I think even No More was pretty good,was smart and articulate as opposed to dumb and angry.I dunno,I just hope they make an album I can listen to with my headphones on and get a new perspective on life,not just the same old preaching that I get from every other 'political' rock band and that I got from Avacado.Any idiot could point out how the war in Iraq has gone wrong.

Is it not just a reflection of the times, though? You can view it as jumping on the "Bush sucks" bandwagon I suppose, but it could just highlight how dissatisfied a lot of people are with the current goverment. There does seem to be an over saturation of anti-Bush bands/songs/albums at the moment, but shit, that just goes to show how awful Bush is :p
    Through surfing, Big Wave.

You've obviously missed the gigantic political subtext that was in that song ;)
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    I hope it's political, but a little more grown up. Song that are political that take a little knowledge to figure them out.

See: Bad Religion
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    HailRoad24HailRoad24 Posts: 133
    I hope not. Making it political 3 in a row would make them sound uncreative and shrill. Yield had a sense of hope and calmness to it, while Binaural had the feel of a mature person observing the world around him.

Binaural pushed the bands boundaries more than any other album. It was dark, serious, and mature.

If they stay political, they run the risk of the albums becoming dated IMO.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    It's whatever...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • Options
    musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    i disagree avocado was an album that encompassed our generation. It wasnt a bush sucks album. It focused briefly on the president, but not much. It didnt discuss policies other than Iraq and that wasnt mentioned by name.

Global warming, the economy, war, death and other issues no doubt were foremost in ed and the bands mind in writing the record, but they didnt manifest themselves directly into the songs. Ed didnt go and say "bush sucks" or "end war".

It was more about a feeling. A feeling.

Its clear to me, more so every day, that I did exactly what I needed to do, by becoming less political, in the aftermath of this record.
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    hopefully not as political

it isn't a coincidence that pearl jams best songs are all about personal things ie black betterman etc

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    umm, eddie himself said that about 50% of the lyrics were about how he felt over J. Ramone passing .
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 879
    Pappas wrote:
    hopefully not as political

it isn't a coincidence that pearl jams best songs are all about personal things ie black betterman etc

best songs? Or do you mean most popular? Granted that Black and Betterman are great songs, I don't think you can say those type of songs are their best. I know a lot of people, myself included, that would argue In Hiding, Hard to Imagine, All Those Yesterdays, and other less popular songs are PJ's best work.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Carlos D wrote:

Best put view on the lyrics from Avacado I've heard yet on here. I completely agree. I mean there are political leanings on even there earliest stuff, except it's more poetic, less blatant and incredibly well put together. Like Grievance or WMA or Do The Evolution
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!