Starting Drums soon... where should i start?

Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
edited March 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Y

I should be getting my first kit soon.. I dont fancy getting lessons as I have had 4 years of piano lessons and i really just dont like the format of it + very boring and can be expensive

So i wondered if anyone knew any good things that could help me getting started?

thanks

Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Play along with a click, start slow at first. Play along with things you like, and have fun.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Not to be a total asshole, but I found lessons to be incredibly helpful. I've been taking lessons on and off for 10 years (the first six were lessons all year) and I wish that I could still have them regularly.

If you really don't want lessons though, make sure that you get a metronome, and play to stuff you like. There are some really good drum books also. "Stick Control" is the only title I remember, but its pretty good.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Definitely recommend at least 6-8 hrs worth of lessons to make sure your grip is right and whatnot. If it's not, you can do some damage to your wrists and elbows. Also it'll help you knock out the basics. I played for 2 1/2 yrs before getting lessons, and what worked up until lessons was crankin' up the stereo and playin along to songs you like. Always try to progress too. Don't be afraid to throw on some DMB or something a little tough to challenge yourself.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    I've been going to my son's drum lessons for a few years now and I've noticed that there's a lot to good drum technique. You could probably learn a lot from lessons!

:)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Y

I should be getting my first kit soon.. I dont fancy getting lessons as I have had 4 years of piano lessons and i really just dont like the format of it + very boring and can be expensive

So i wondered if anyone knew any good things that could help me getting started?

thanks

Ed
    i taught my sisters friend a few beats and she plays piano. she learnt them in a few minutes. you should be fine. if you don't want lessons, matt cam on the msg dvd and touring band 2000 help a lot. good luck:)
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    Another great practice tool is to set up a large mirror, either in front of you or slightly to your side, and watch your technique while you play. Try to have good posture and minimal arm motion--meaning, the less you've got to move, the more energy you conserve and the more speed and efficiency you'll have. Also, if you're gonna play matched grip, really work on trying to get your hands to be mirror images of eachother. Hope I've been some help...good luck.
  • if i were you not wanting lessons i would read around the style of drumming you want to play, watch videos and clips of drummers you aspire to, watch how they play and try to mimic, a click will help and playing along to some track can benefit too.
    I wouldnt rule lessons out completely, ive been having drum lessons for about 4 years now and it does help and gives a bit of back bone and reassurance to your playing.

and besides if u find it boring just ask the teacher if u can do some more interesting stuff like maybe play along to some pearl jam :D;)
  • I played drums for a couple of years, lessons are definatley the best way to start, strict lesson plans are alright, but if you have a cool drum teacher, they'll tell you all the ins and outs of the kit and how to get the most from it.

Many people have just sort of hit the drums for a few hours and picked it up like that, but if you learn some techniques, then you can do amazing improvisation and just solo your heart out. It feels amazing. Oh and work on co-ordination too, its alot harder that you think.
    no matter where you go,
    there you are.

- brain of c