Recommendations for guitar upgrade please

Meine liebeMeine liebe Posts: 203
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have decided instead of buying a new guitar I want to upgrade my Mexi Tele. So give me any recommendations that pop into your noggin.

Mostly I want to upgrade pickups, anything to make the guitar SOUND BETTER really is what im looking for. I still want it to sound like a Tele though. Any good pickups out there that would accomplish this?

I am a gear rookie really so any help is very appreciated
I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ALot of people are gonna say Lindy Fralin pickups.

You might enjoy something a little higher output than those mexi pickups.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Lollars, Fralins, Harmonic Design, Suhr.......... it just depends on your wallet my friend.

go to http://www.projectguitar.com references and pickups and look around.

then scope the new mexi upgrade hardware at http://www.callahamguitars.com

and another good site is http://www.acmeguitarworks.com they are friends of Bob I think.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    It also depends on your style of play, and what you need to get out of the instrument. I used to be a fan of high output pickups, but the longer I play, the more I prefer lower output pickups. IMO, you hear more of the guitar when the pickups aren't overpowering things. If you have good wood, use lower output pickups to bring out the unique tonal character of your instrument.

OTOH, if your guitar isn't partiularly resonant, or has sustain problems, go with a hotter pickup. Those Mexi Fender's are good guitars. At one time, the only real difference between them and their American counterparts were the pickups and hardware.

Good luck. finding the right pickups can be quite the task. Fralin's are dope IMO. I also like Lollars.
  • much appreciated, guys. i will def. check out some of those websites too. anyone know of any good guitar shops (for repair, etc.) in the memphis area? probably not but it doesnt hurt to ask

Mitch Hedberg
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Not in Memphis unfortunately, but if you can make it up to Nashville, Gruhn's Guitars is a great place to start. If you've never been there, you owe it to yourself just for the eye candy :)
  • awesome. i will be going to nashville in a month for a wedding. i will have to bring my tele for them to take a look at.

Mitch Hedberg
  • Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • i'm a seymour duncan fan so you might want to check them out. i also recomend putting the pick ups in yourself. its easy to do.
    THE METAL GODS OWNS YOUR MOTHER!!!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Spook Fish wrote:

The Irish tours sound like a winner, I really need to get some Rory Gallagher stuff.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    The Irish tours sound like a winner, I really need to get some Rory Gallagher stuff.

Reading through the Harmony Central reviews settled my opinion on these pick ups then i bought one.

I've only got the Geoff Whitehorn 'Crawler' Humbucker in my bridge position and it is very good. I would Love to try some of the Tele & strat pups.
    you can mail / call Tim @ Bare Knuckle and he will wind it to your own spec if thats what you want.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer