epiphone 1965 G-400 with masestro tremolo. Good guitar here?

Meine liebeMeine liebe Posts: 203
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
They are offering this on musicians friend for $450 and wanted to get some ideas/feedback....my first post here.

Is this a solid guitar? I have been wanting to buy an SG for a while and kinda am iffy on this. Soundwise is it much different than a Gibson SG? Also, I have a Mexi Tele, my only electric, and was wondering if the two would sound much different. Obviously I dont want something that sounds similar to what I have now. I have played SG's, just not Epiphones.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated
I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HYLAHYLA Posts: 137
    Beauty of MF is if you don't like it, you can send it back.
  • anyone know about this guitar?
    I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
  • It looks really nice...I can't find that exact one on Harmony Central reviews but then again, I just skimmed it. http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Epiphone/
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    It looks like the Epiphone version of the Gibson Angus Young Signature SG. Just a few thousand cheaper!
  • It's a brand-new model, so feedback is gonna be hard to come by. It sounds good... I looked over the specs and I like it. I'm not a huge fan of vibrato tails, but if it strikes you as a cool feature, it's a good design at least. The Angus Young model is a bit flashier, has that majik word on the headstock, and has slightly better pickups (Sig pup in the bridge, Classic 57 in the neck) but the AlNiCo 5's are still decent pups, and swapping them would be EASY. But all things considered, it's just a regular G-400 with a vibrato tail... read about the G-400 and then read about the tail on the Angus Young model. It's a cool guitar at a decent price...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I'm in the market for a new guitar, and I've been checking out SG's. I was going to buy a Gibson SG standard, but I really want one with the Vibrato tail. (mainly because tweedy plays it and its SICK)

That Epiphone is WAYYY cheaper, and I'm really digging the vibrato. What's everyone think? Worth it? or should I just go with a Gibson?
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Personally, I'd get the Epiphone, it's worth what you pay for it. The Gibson is overpriced and has questionable quality and quality-control. You can pay for a professional set-up and replace the pickups on the Epiphone and still be half the price of the Gibson, and have a much better guitar as well.

BTW, Tweedy plays a ton of Epiphone guitars already.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.