Easy beginner drummer questions

Meine liebeMeine liebe Posts: 203
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I bought a drum set about a month ago and just started playing drums. It is a Yamaha set with Remo heads on the Bass and floor tom, Evans heads on the rest of the toms and snare, and yamaha cymbals. Is it bad to mix and match like that?

After playing with my guitarist friend last night the heads looked like they had been thru war. I do play pretty hard but at the same time I didnt expect to see that much of a difference. The evans heads were brand new and now there are noticable "dents" in the heads. They still sound fine but I worry about wearing them out. Do I need to tone it down or are Evans cheap heads? How often do you need to replace heads?

Lastly, is there a website good for beginner drummers to learn shit this? Like tuning the set......I have no idea how to do that. Any help is much appreciated.
I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.

Mitch Hedberg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm gonna help as much as i can...

1. If the heads are new, they're gonna get the scuff marks just about every time you hit it. If it's a "dent", I'm thinking they may be too loose. Evans are not cheap heads, so it's not a quality issue. You'd almost have to stab a drum with the stick to do some damage to it, so I doubt you're hitting it too hard.

2. Tuning the heads is more of a preference thing as far as how high/low to tune them. The head needs to be pretty tight. The guy i used to go to for lessons said he would tune the bottom head about 1/2 half step higher than the top. That's always worked for me. To tune a head, you hit the edge of the head (not very hard) on the lug that you're tuning. The head should have six bolts, so make sure you get the same pitch at each bolt. Once they're all equal and you have a pitch that you like, tune the bottom the same way, only a half step higher. See how it works out.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • are your toms angled towards you too much?...that can cause dents as well as hitting them too hard. I have used 4 different types of Evans and the only time one dented was when I let my drunk friend play them. And even then, only one dented.

Other than the snare, you should use all the same heads. The reso (bottom) head is important as well.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • the first few times you play, you'll notice the heads get pretty 'marked'. i would recommend getting newer cymbals at some point. yamaha arent renowned for this.
    'we were coming close to being on lunchboxes'- e.v 2000
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I've played for 22 years and still dont have a good solid method on how to best tune my drums... but what I do for the top heads is loosen all the screws on a head, then finger tighten them as much as possible. Tap the drum, then work one screw a tiny bit, then work the opposite side screw. Keep going around, working opposite screws. Once you get a pitch that's close to what you want, put your left index fingertip gently in the center of the head. Now tap the head very close to a screw, then tap the one next to it. If you hear a subtle harmonic difference, then change it to match the first one. Work your way around.

It's not the best method, but its been working ok on my kit.

One thing to try to avoid is a "stifled" tom sound. If the drum sounds too short in duration, the head may be too tight for the size drum.

They make tension measurers for a bit of money to help tune, but from what I remember, it didn't help me much when I had one.

(sorry if I repeated any advice earlier in the thread) :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • I have a drum dial and found that it quickly gets me really close to getting them in tune, then I just fine tune them by ear.

To add to CJMST3K, when tuning the drum place it on a thick carpet or maybe even your bed to isolate the head you are tuning from the other head.
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Meh, tuning ability is something that comes with time. Its like breaking in a new guitar amplifierk, just fuck around with it and eventually it'll start to suit your preference.

As far as the heads go, it's most likely a mixture of playing too hard and having the heads too tight because it's harder to dent a loose head considering the denting would come from too much tension.