Guitar Amp Help...

AfternoonDelightAfternoonDelight Posts: 25
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Right so im about to start learning guitar and im about to buy a Mexican Fender Telecaster, that much has been decided, but for an amp ive been told that it should really be between a VOX and a marshal amp...as both are known for making excellent 30W amps...

Which one do you lot reckon i should get?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Right so im about to start learning guitar and im about to buy a Mexican Fender Telecaster, that much has been decided, but for an amp ive been told that it should really be between a VOX and a marshal amp...as both are known for making excellent 30W amps...

Which one do you lot reckon i should get?

How much are you wanting to spend? If it's a marshall MG you're looking at, don't buy it. Get the vox. The inexpensive vox modelling line sounds very good for the money and it's got a variety of options for you. I'd go with the vox.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    How much are you wanting to spend? If it's a marshall MG you're looking at, don't buy it. Get the vox. The inexpensive vox modelling line sounds very good for the money and it's got a variety of options for you. I'd go with the vox.

I can't stress the same thing enough...

DO NOT BUY ANY MARSHALL MG SERIES....worst peice of shit on the market. For the same price you can get something great. I'd go with the Vox as well. Since it's your first amp and you are just starting I dont think you should spend anymore than 200$. Stick it around the 150 area and you will get a nice amp for the price. The Vox has many options to the amp to play with, which every beginner loves. The Line 6's are nice too for that type of stuff but the new Spider II's sound very fake, doesn't sound like true tone. The original Spider I's were nice, my friend has a 2x12 spider I combo and it's a nice amp.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ya, stay away from the MG's.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • jambayleafjambayleaf Posts: 646
    I have the Spider II, Line 6 and like it alot, but I know what you mean by sounding fake, with the effects. But just playing it straight up without using that stuff, it's a nice amp.
    So now I'm drivin the bus- Kramer
    You're batman!- George
    Yeah...yeah...I AM batman!!- Kramer
  • This helped a fair bit...

thanks guys
  • LikeLukinLikeLukin Posts: 29
    yeah, please don't waste your money on a solid state marshall amp. Around 6 years ago I dropped nearly $700 on one.

Although I really love the tone I can get out of the clean channel when I crank the pre amp gain (or should I say the imitation pre amp) the overdrive channel blew on me about 2 years after I bought it, and I could've gotten a really great tube combo of some sort for that amount of cash.

If I had known then, what I know now....