They're gonna tell you where to walk
When to smile and just what to say
They say have your own fun...

Need vinyl, doggs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Any suggestions?
    HOw much do you what to spend ?? I can list about a dozen, but I tend to favour expensive things, mostly cos you only buy them once and they last forever, and you don't find yourself unhappy a few months later.
    Try Mesa Stiletto Ace, amazing EL34 sound, good enough cleans, crunchy OD, hootin' shmootin' !!
    Where are you too, makes a big difference to price.
    Lonestar Special, switching options down to 5 watts, also people are saying good things about Orange Tiny Terror.
    Voodoo V-Plex 50 is supposed to be the shit for getting the best MArshall Plexi sound money can buy.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Harry Joyce Custom 50

Wizard Modern Classic 50
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    59 Bassman anyone?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30. You really need to try one of these, enharmonic. They are overpriced for what theya re, and a bit of a one-trick pony, but what a trick. They have such a superb sound. I'm not sure I'd buy one, but well worth teh trip to a shop to fanny around on one for a bit.
  • Traynor YCV50 or YCV40WR.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Why limit your options to 50 watts. Wattage is only one of many factors that affect volume. Other factors are # and size of speakers, and whether its tube or solid state.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • I've heard nothing but good things about Reeves (Lead 1 or Custom 50)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    Mesa Lonestar now has a 10 watt switching option whcih is pure Class A, that is a great development, wish mine had it.
    Arman is right when he says limiting yourself to 50 watts is not really relevant to volume or anything really, you lose a bit of headroom off a 100watt amp, but not that you will notice.
    Any reason for teh 50 watt choice ??
  • band member gave a suggestion. right now im running on a 10w squier ive had since 8th grade. i need money haha.

id go anywhere between $600-800.
    They're gonna tell you where to walk
    When to smile and just what to say
    They say have your own fun...

Need vinyl, doggs.
  • band member gave a suggestion. right now im running on a 10w squier ive had since 8th grade. i need money haha.

id go anywhere between $600-800.

For versitality, I'd go with the Traynors. Great cleans AND dirty! I run the YCV80, so I'm biased, but its worth it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • My Ampeg Reverberocket falls into that price range. Like the Traynors, it's very versatile. Can to from almost crystal clean (not quite Fender or Marshall clean) to heavy metal distortion easily. I have the 2x12, but get the 1x12. You'll realize why when you have to carry it anywhere.
  • Try carrying a 410!
  • Traynor YCV50 or YCV40WR.

Amen to that
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Any suggestions?

Diezel VH4.

or the Einstein more appropriately as it is 50 watt rated. http://diezel.typo3.inpublica.de/einstein.19.0.html

Check out the Rockerverb 50 from Orange too.

Or a Reeves Custom 50

http://www.mpamp.com/overview.htm

the mad professor is pretty hot between 40 and 75 watts too. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Any suggestions?

What kind of sound are you going for? Fender-clean, Marshall dirty, SRV overdrive?
  • I like my Hiwatt

its fitty watts

its loud, muy muy

heh

um for that price range, maybe try a new Vox ac30cc, which is around 1000, but will have plenty of volume. The traynors get a lot of love around here, for sure. maybe a fender supersonic? worth looking at....

depends on if you need a gain channel or not

whatever you do tho, don't sell the squier amp. :)

cheers
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    If you want a Badmotorfinger type sound, I'm sure there's a Marshall tube amp that you can get your hands on for less than $1000.

I'd stay away from Fenders, because I don't think that's the sound you're looking for. The best thing to do is get to a Guitar Center or your local music shop and try every amp you can find in your price range.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    Bad Cat Hot Cat 30. You really need to try one of these, enharmonic. They are overpriced for what theya re, and a bit of a one-trick pony, but what a trick. They have such a superb sound. I'm not sure I'd buy one, but well worth teh trip to a shop to fanny around on one for a bit.

Oh, I have :D. They are very nice. I'm in "love" with my RSA23 though...don't see me switching amps for a very long time.
    enharmonic wrote:
    Oh, I have :D. They are very nice. I'm in "love" with my RSA23 though...don't see me switching amps for a very long time.

RSA23, what is that ?? Sounds like a boutique special to me. Tell us more !

http://www.dividedby13.com/ they are freaking awesome. Have him tell you about his swanson cab too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.dividedby13.com/ they are freaking awesome. Have him tell you about his swanson cab too.

Now that is the kind of gear I love. We just don't have access to that stuff here. Even tube techs are very thin on the ground here. Both the guys I know make their own amps, and will custom build, but re-sale is hopeless, so I wouldn't bother. That is one big reason I go with Mesa, hold their value better than anything here and easy re-sale if I want.
    NIce link !!

Pac is on point as usual (thanks for the link, bro!). The ÷13 RSA23 is a 23 watt amp that to many ears combines elements of of a plexi, Park 75, and AC30. I'd have to agree with that assertion...this amp is like nothing I've ever heard out of any single amp. It was designed for Rusty Anderson, who is Paul McCartney's guitar player, as well as a fine singer/songwriter in his own right.

I had a 2x12 custom made by Jeff Swanson. It's basically built to Orange specs and loaded with Scholz Sugarcones. The Scholz speakers are a holdover from my days playing Harry Joyce amps. They're used most notably by Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes, and Prince.

My guitars can be found here: http://www.motorave.com/

I'm thinking about adding a USACG Jazzmaster in Shoreline Gold, but I have to wait to see how the tax return goes.

Oh...dig this crazy echo :D

mgtef_big.jpg
    enharmonic wrote:
    Pac is on point as usual (thanks for the link, bro!). The ÷13 RSA23 is a 23 watt amp that to many ears combines elements of of a plexi, Park 75, and AC30. I'd have to agree with that assertion...this amp is like nothing I've ever heard out of any single amp. It was designed for Rusty Anderson, who is Paul McCartney's guitar player, as well as a fine singer/songwriter in his own right.

I had a 2x12 custom made by Jeff Swanson. It's basically built to Orange specs and loaded with Scholz Sugarcones. The Scholz speakers are a holdover from my days playing Harry Joyce amps. They're used most notably by Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes, and Prince.

My guitars can be found here: http://www.motorave.com/

I'm thinking about adding a USACG Jazzmaster in Shoreline Gold, but I have to wait to see how the tax return goes.

Oh...dig this crazy echo :D

mgtef_big.jpg

I'd almost buy that just for the pig !! Don't let my wife see it, she will. Cute shit, she can't resist !!
    I'd almost buy that just for the pig !! Don't let my wife see it, she will. Cute shit, she can't resist !!

Yeah...Porky Pig with a Flying V...it gets no cooler than that...except that Marcelo designed it to sound like a Binson Echorec to get those old Gilmour delay sounds.
    enharmonic wrote:
    Yeah...Porky Pig with a Flying V...it gets no cooler than that...except that Marcelo designed it to sound like a Binson Echorec to get those old Gilmour delay sounds.

Yeah, I read about that, maybe in a Guitar Legends. My Replex has dual gead delay, so it gets pretty colse to that, esp if I were better at setting it up, or actually cared enough to work at it.
  • VHT Pittbull
    7/16/06 7/18/06
    DOSW wrote:
    If you want a Badmotorfinger type sound, I'm sure there's a Marshall tube amp that you can get your hands on for less than $1000.

Better still...and don't laugh!

Peavey VTM120. Good enough for Kim Thayil, good enough for anyone. The VTM120 is all over SG albums from BMF back. They can be had in great shape for under 500 bucks.

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=GFyWDAAA1171907847&command=link--mgtef

here's some clips, Gilmore would be proud.