Amps on "Pearl Jam"

moloconomolocono Posts: 116
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
It seems that Mike and Stone's amps have never sounded so damn crunchy on an album. I love it! Are they using the Trentino amps?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    its mostly ed and stone with the crunch sound

mikes tone is fuckin fantastic, if you listen to it on headphones, anything in the right side is mike and its just great, and yeah Mike is using the trentino
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • its mostly ed and stone with the crunch sound

mikes tone is fuckin fantastic, if you listen to it on headphones, anything in the right side is mike and its just great, and yeah Mike is using the trentino

mike is usually left, am i not correct? well for boots anyways, i havent had much tiem to listen to avocado on headphoens yet, but for boots, mike is allways the bug in the left ear

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
    mike is usually left, am i not correct? well for boots anyways, i havent had much tiem to listen to avocado on headphoens yet, but for boots, mike is allways the bug in the left ear
    they switched it around on this record
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think its cool how they switched, its sorta odd the first listen though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    yeah they switched, once i heard mikes solo at the end of Life Wasted i could identify it as him and not stone
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    they switched it around on this record

Thats very interesting, Something i had nevery really paid close attention too but now that you mention it i noticed that in some of the songs Mike's leads are more confronting. Not sure exacty how to describe it but it all makes sense now
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    Ed's Hiwatt, Stone's and Mike's Trentinos. Looks like Stone also plays through an Ampeg Reverberocket, and Mike has Marshall head (this is all information from watching the AOL sessions). They probably mix amps together, double micing, so many complex recording tricks they could do..
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Ed's Hiwatt, Stone's and Mike's Trentinos. Looks like Stone also plays through an Ampeg Reverberocket, and Mike has Marshall head (this is all information from watching the AOL sessions). They probably mix amps together, double micing, so many complex recording tricks they could do..

Hello.
    Its not an reverbrocket. Its a Fender deVille.

Johnny
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    how much do ya think those Trentinos cost?
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    nailz100 wrote:
    how much do ya think those Trentinos cost?

If I had to guess based on other amps of similar design, I'd say somewhere in the $2K-$2.5k range...IF he's even taking orders. He might just build amps for friends. I cannot recall anyone outside of Stone and Mike playing them
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I dont know the exact price of them, but everytime ive seen them mentioned (and thats not alot) they've cost a shit-load.... you'd have to be a rockstar or just plain rich to own one, lol.
  • I think Trentino doesn't make amps for any person that's not Mike or Stone.
    But the amps sound real good, He know what his doing!

But one amp like that Trentinos costs over $2500, in work and amp parts. That's almost for sure.

Johnny
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Trentino is not in the best of health and he no longer makes amps. He will no longer work on them either. He is a really nice guy and he only built 2 amps, they were both built for Pearl Jam.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • ampguyampguy Posts: 7
    Sal Trentino has made about 5 amps, each is a little different though based on the same transformers, tubes and basic concepts. I own #004. Stone and Mike own #'s 002 and 003. A fellow in MD owns # 005.

Sal's been recovering from some painful health issues the past couple years, but is getting better all the time.
    enharmonic wrote:
    If I had to guess based on other amps of similar design, I'd say somewhere in the $2K-$2.5k range...IF he's even taking orders. He might just build amps for friends. I cannot recall anyone outside of Stone and Mike playing them