fender question

*given*to*fly**given*to*fly* Posts: 325
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
...k so my mom wants to buy me this pink fender accoustic for xmas .....but neither of us know a thing about guitars ....my roomate said that theres good ones and not so good ones ... can someone tell me how i know if its a good one ?
dream like your living forever
live like your dying today
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Pink one....eh its alright. Its going to be a laminate top a.k.a. plywood.

I would suggest either the DG-8S acoustic pack, which come with a solid spruce top guitar and a bunch of accessories. Or the DG-100....I think thats the model name, but I can't find it anywhere online.

Anyway its a nicer solid top guitar and its priced around $320 or so.
  • WESWES Posts: 168
    if your going to get an acoustic...check out Art & Lutherie and Seagull guitars...both companys are owned by Godin and are made in Canada...Quality is extremely good considering the prices...a really decent Seagull or A & L can be had for $300 - $400...
  • ...k so my mom wants to buy me this pink fender accoustic for xmas .....but neither of us know a thing about guitars ....my roomate said that theres good ones and not so good ones ... can someone tell me how i know if its a good one ?

check out some of the other 'acoustic' & 'New Guitar' posts, some peeps have explained pro's & cons of inexpensive guitars. what you can get for $300-500.

i agree with WES: Art & lutherie / Simon & Patrick / Seagull are all quality made guitars and have affordable starters too. :-)
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Thorns2010 wrote:
    Pink one....eh its alright. Its going to be a laminate top a.k.a. plywood.

I would suggest either the DG-8S acoustic pack, which come with a solid spruce top guitar and a bunch of accessories. Or the DG-100....I think thats the model name, but I can't find it anywhere online.

Anyway its a nicer solid top guitar and its priced around $320 or so.

....laminate top .. does that mean not so good ?
    i really like the idea of having a pink guitar haha
    but i still want it to be good
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    Yes laminate top means no good. Basically what it is is about 3 different pieces of plywood with glue in between each layer of wood. Sound waves like to flow along with the grain of wood, but each piece of the plywood are going different directions, so the sound dissipates some.

With a solid top guitar you don't have this problem, and over time the more you play it the more the sound waves 'break in' the wood. As in the wood gets used to the sound waves flowing through it, and over time the guitar will sound better.

But if you want a pink guitar, I can't stop you. And if the pink gets you started to play guitar all the more power to you!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    ....laminate top .. does that mean not so good ?
    i really like the idea of having a pink guitar haha
    but i still want it to be good

It just depends on how good you want it to be. If you desire a pink guitar and you aren't really concerned with volume and paramount sound quality go for it. It will be fine and it will be a guitar that sounds decent that you can get very good value out of. But the solid top (and when you get into the very expensive guitars all solid wood) resonates more truely, and thus you get better sound and harmonics, even when you play an ovation (horrid awful lyracord bowl back guitars that people who work in guitar stores love because they are all profit although they are decent plugged in for stage use) the solid top improves resonance and thus provides better sound, but if you are enamored with the pink, go with the pink, it won't hurt anything, later on if you need to upgrade you can certainly find a better guitar.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    It just depends on how good you want it to be. If you desire a pink guitar and you aren't really concerned with volume and paramount sound quality go for it. It will be fine and it will be a guitar that sounds decent that you can get very good value out of. But the solid top (and when you get into the very expensive guitars all solid wood) resonates more truely, and thus you get better sound and harmonics, even when you play an ovation (horrid awful lyracord bowl back guitars that people who work in guitar stores love because they are all profit although they are decent plugged in for stage use) the solid top improves resonance and thus provides better sound, but if you are enamored with the pink, go with the pink, it won't hurt anything, later on if you need to upgrade you can certainly find a better guitar.

thanx so much i think i will go with the pink one and then when i get better ill get a better one (im just learning right now)
    thanx for the advice i really appriceat it
    thanx to everyone who replied

xo