flying with guitar

Child Of The 90sChild Of The 90s Posts: 526
edited December 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm going to be taking my new accoustic guitar on an airplane. The guy at the shop said that I should tune it half a step down. Is this good advice? And what exactly does half a step mean? I sort of have an idea, but I'm not too sure how to do it. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Don't know if its a good idea or not, but a half step down is tuning each string down to its relative flat. So instead of having all the strings tuned to E-A-D-G-B-E, you'll loosen the strings enough to tune it to Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb. Hope this helps.
  • thanks. I guess i'll give that a try
  • maybe because of the pressure? i have no idea... but it can't hurt to loosen the strings...

my electric once had a transatlantic flight in first class because there was not enough space with the rest of us poor people... i wonder if it got served champagne while i was having a cheap sandwich...

but i love the title of your thread... flying with guitars... MILES HIGH!!!
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • my electric once had a transatlantic flight in first class because there was not enough space with the rest of us poor people... i wonder if it got served champagne while i was having a cheap sandwich...

cant stop laughing! :)
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • If you're definitely taking it inside the plane, it wouldn't make much difference.

If it's getting checked on, then detuning a half step or step can help. It relieves a little pressure on the headstock when it's getting knocked around. Also, if it's riding in the underbelly of the plane in the cold, the strings are going to contract in the cold and put the tuning sharp, which puts more strain on the headstock and increases the chance of breaking when it's coming off the plane. You need to pack that sucker well if it gets checked on!
    Call your airline and ask them if you can take it on and that it isn't over the size limit. Get a seat in the back so you get on first and can find a place to put it overhead before it fills up.

Someone else I know who tours, checks on the hardshell case with her clothes in it, and puts the guitar in a gig bag, then inside a garment bag and puts it in the coat closet on the plane! :cool:

Make sure that you are at your smiley friendliest when you're trying to get your guitar on board! They usually take care of you.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

haha... this usually helps...
    when mine went through the detectors for hand luggage, the guy who was checking it started to play some crazy air guitar... he did some great heavy metal faces as well :D
    but this was pre-9/11... things might have changed...
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • Yeah I'm not sure tuning exactly a half step or to any specific tuning is necessary but loosening the strings is definitely a good idea...
    walk the bridges before you burn them down...
  • thanks everyone, my flight was today, and everything went well. I managed to take my guitar on board with me, and tuned it down a bit. i appreciate your help