reel to reel

Child Of The 90sChild Of The 90s Posts: 526
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a few old reel to reel tapes that I want to transfer into something that I can listen to. Does anyone know where I could take these tapes to have them converted into something more modern? Also, how much could I expect to pay for something like that? They have some sentimental value, and I don't want to lose the contents of the tapes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• How about answering a few questions.

What are we talking 1/4", 1", 2" tape?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • i don't have it with me right now...it's at my folk's place. but I think it is 1/4 inch. would the size change what I would need to do with it?
  • i don't have it with me right now...it's at my folk's place. but I think it is 1/4 inch. would the size change what I would need to do with it?

Sounds like you have the dat tape of the recordings.

That's probably going to be much easier then you might think. Open up the phone book and start calling the local studios.

Back in the early 90's when I was helping out a buddy's band we ended up renting a dat machine because at that time cd production companys would only take dat tapes for the master.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I seriously doubt that it's DAT (digital audio tape), since he's talking about reel-to-reel, not cassette.

That being said, recording studios and maybe video post-production facilities will be your safest bet. I'd call a few in your area, or maybe talk to a knowledgable musical instruments dealer, and see if they know of any good options.

The difficulty is if you don't have a reel-to-reel player, they may not have the ability to play your tapes. There are quite a few studios out there that still use tape, but not all of them do. If you had the player, just about any studio could do it pretty easily.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • thanks for your help, i hope i can find someone to transfer these for me
  • I picked up the tapes yesterday. The tape is 1/4 inch, and on the front of them they say:

Grundig Cassette 543 25min

does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost me to get them transfered. I'm going to start looking for a studio if the process is relatively simple.