Thinking of Picking up a Guitar

bmarsh10bmarsh10 Posts: 168
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I always wanted to learn but its seems like it would be tough. I was wondering which accoustic guitar is good for someone just starting out. How long is it going to take me to be able to even know what I;m doing? How much should I spend on my first guitar? Anyone know a good way to learn, is there good websites or videos to watch>?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    hi

i'm learning (i think you never stop learning really) on an electric.... just went to giventowail.com and under the "interact" link the nice guys at GTW have suggested songs that range from beginner to far out stuff... its an excellent site

people might recommend an acoustic as it toughens your fingers, makes the switch easier to electric, etc.... but i never want to play an acoustic (yet) so i didnt see the sense in practicising with an acoustic so i could make the switch to electric... i just went out and got me an SG and went from there.

but its purely a preferential thing... do you want to play acoustic based stuff? do you want to make a noise? :)

my first guitar was an Epiphone SG and it cost me £150 ($250ish) and i bought an Orange mini 10W amp thing... and i just went from there

good luck in whatever you choose.... hard as hell to start with but then muscle memory must kick in or something as you'll be surprised how quick it just fits together after a few months
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • leethalleethal Posts: 134
    I think the most important thing is that you don't buy a guitar thats too cheap because a) u will improve and have to buy a more expensive guitar down the anyway making the first a waste or b/ it will sound terrible and you will be discouraged when it might not be your fault.

To be honest you cant hear much of a difference between any midpriced acoustic anyway so have a look around and choose one that looks nice. Also, make sure u get a steel string (much better sound) and i suggest getting an acoustic electric because they aren't more expensive anyway.

As for learning guitar, if you use giventowail etc you will be pretty surprised at how quickly you can play a few things. Just do small segments of songs like riffs and stuff. MFC intro, rearview mirror etc. You will have a lot of fun.
  • journeymanjourneyman Posts: 135
    Hey, you will never stop learning. And you will probably never stop being frustrated. I don't recomend a cheap guitar. I also don't say you need an expensive one. Do you know anyone who plays? Seek council from experienced humans. Look to get good at the notes and chords first.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    And a good teacher is invaluable. Good luck man!
  • bmarsh10bmarsh10 Posts: 168
    so an accoustic - electric guitar, mid price range, what is a good brand?
  • i picked up a cool guitar off ebay for £100. A blonde squier telecaster custom silver series II with seymour duncan pickups. The pick-ups give this guitar versatile coolness, you can have sweet tones or just plain raw ones, i've found i can get every pj tone on it, its great for a squier and they are only just over £200 brand new (mine was only a few months old), try it out, look at http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/Squier_Tele_Custom_II.html

its even cheaper here

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Hi bmarsh,

First of all, congrats on deciding to take a step to learn an instrument. It can be a very challenging, but also very rewarding experience.

I was wondering which accoustic guitar is good for someone just starting out?

Well, there's not an easy answer for this one. You have to find something that is going to feel good in your hands and stay in tune. That's about the only requirements I'd put on it if I were you. Learning to play is awkward enough without having a guitar that is uncomforable after a few hours of play. Check out the Yamaha FG700S. It's a pretty decent instrument for well under 300 bucks.

How long is it going to take me to be able to even know what I'm doing?

That depends on what you want to learn, and how much time you have to practice. If you wish to learn theory and sight reading, it could take you a while...at least a year. If you want to learn how to play songs from tab books, you can be playing songs in under 6 months. The trade of is that you won't learn a whole lot about music. Each person progresses at different speeds. It's not a race. The most important thing when starting out is to do things that make you want to play.

How much should I spend on my first guitar?

Whatever you can afford without too much difficulty. I would say that if you are not 100% sold on the idea, don't spend more than you'd spend on say...an X-Box and a few games...so less than 400 bucks. If on theother hand, you know that you are going to play guitar for the rest of your life, might as well buy the best guitar that you can afford, even if it means you will be saving for a few months.

Anyone know a good way to learn, is there good websites or videos to watch?

Tons of websites! I would suggest The Principles for the Correct Practice for Guitar by Jamie Andreas. I wish I would have had that when I first started playing. Also, though acoustic is a lot more difficult to play than electric, I would start on acoustic. That way, when you move over to electric, you will be way ahead of the game. Most electrics play like butter compared to acoustics. You will build better technique on acoustic IMO.

Good luck to you :)
  • Thin HairThin Hair Posts: 67
    its great when you learn that first song. Learn your basic major chords first (a to g). Alot of songs including PJ songs can be played with these chords. Then go on to the minors. There are plenty of good web-sites, including GTW that help first time players. http://www.guitartabs.cc is good because it has a section that lists every chord, as well as where to put your fingers.#

good luck.......
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    enharmonic wrote:
    Hi bmarsh,

First of all, congrats on deciding to take a step to learn an instrument. It can be a very challenging, but also very rewarding experience.

I was wondering which accoustic guitar is good for someone just starting out?

Well, there's not an easy answer for this one. You have to find something that is going to feel good in your hands and stay in tune. That's about the only requirements I'd put on it if I were you. Learning to play is awkward enough without having a guitar that is uncomforable after a few hours of play. Check out the Yamaha FG700S. It's a pretty decent instrument for well under 300 bucks.

How long is it going to take me to be able to even know what I'm doing?

That depends on what you want to learn, and how much time you have to practice. If you wish to learn theory and sight reading, it could take you a while...at least a year. If you want to learn how to play songs from tab books, you can be playing songs in under 6 months. The trade of is that you won't learn a whole lot about music. Each person progresses at different speeds. It's not a race. The most important thing when starting out is to do things that make you want to play.

How much should I spend on my first guitar?

Whatever you can afford without too much difficulty. I would say that if you are not 100% sold on the idea, don't spend more than you'd spend on say...an X-Box and a few games...so less than 400 bucks. If on theother hand, you know that you are going to play guitar for the rest of your life, might as well buy the best guitar that you can afford, even if it means you will be saving for a few months.

Anyone know a good way to learn, is there good websites or videos to watch?

Tons of websites! I would suggest The Principles for the Correct Practice for Guitar by Jamie Andreas. I wish I would have had that when I first started playing. Also, though acoustic is a lot more difficult to play than electric, I would start on acoustic. That way, when you move over to electric, you will be way ahead of the game. Most electrics play like butter compared to acoustics. You will build better technique on acoustic IMO.

Good luck to you :)

now THERE'S your answer:) the internet has been such a vital tool for me. http://www.riffinteractive.com is a great way to see/watch/hear tab as you get going (scales, riffs) tab sites help (most of the time) and really just push through those first couple of months. you will get frustrated, it will hurt but man, it is the most gratifying of feelings. before you know it you'll be filing your callusses down and your girlfriend will be saying, 'gross!'

lol good luck... na, good practicing.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Good links guys.

I've been playing for about 3 months now and I'm still just messing around. I think the most important thing about guitar is to don't get frustrated or feel the need to be "good" all at once. Just relax and have fun. If you're not having fun then what's the point?

PS: Long Road is a really good song to start out with. D, G, Em (same as E just take your finger off the D string) and A. Like someone else mentioned, learn your basic chords first and then try some simple songs.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • bmarsh10bmarsh10 Posts: 168
    just bought my Guitar today, accoustic Seagal, sounds really good, 399 bucks
    know Im trying to learn some cords.
  • bmarsh10 wrote:
    I always wanted to learn but its seems like it would be tough. I was wondering which accoustic guitar is good for someone just starting out. How long is it going to take me to be able to even know what I;m doing? How much should I spend on my first guitar? Anyone know a good way to learn, is there good websites or videos to watch>?

once youve got the guitar, have a look at http://www.looknohands.com

tones of chords for ya!
    Fuck The System
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    bmarsh10 wrote:
    just bought my Guitar today, accoustic Seagal, sounds really good, 399 bucks
    know Im trying to learn some cords.

Nice, I think my roommate has a Seagal as well. Very nice guitar. He loves it.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I started playing in January and would write down on a calendar every day I practiced just as a way of keeping me motivated. About a month ago I stopped writing down when i practiced because I loved playing so much that I didn't need to keep myself motivated, I actually couldn't wait to play!

If you know someone who plays, even if they are just willing to show you a few things, it is invaluable! My friend has been playing for 10 years and he really showed me some great tips.

It is really rewarding but be prepared for the first couple of weeks-month when your fingers hurt, nothing sounds right.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    Be sure to check out olga.net (on-line guitar archive) for tons of tabs and chord resources.

Have fun!
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...