Telecaster Sound problem

WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a problem maybe some one can help with. I bought an Am Deluxe Tele, 2005 model, new a few years ago. Now I loved the sound, but I took it to someone I trusted with my accoustic guitars to do some service and it came back sounding different. I would say brighter, cleaner, less of the muddy tones I thought I was getting before.

So, having never really done the whole setup thing before, such as truss rod adjustments, bridge adjustments, etc, I really didn't know what to think. I played with the pickups but that wasn't it.

First question, can the strings change tone that much. The strings were original, and I thought they were 10's but looking at Fender.com it appears they were 9's, but I am a bit skeptical on that. I had 10's put on it, Diaddario, but then I went and bought some Fender 9's and tried that. Still not there.

So I embarked on my first ever setup and I think I did okay and it actually seems to be more where it was than after I got it back. I tried to do it based on the Fender manual, but maybe there is something I am missing there. Best described the neck is a slightly concave, and the bridge settings are give me medium action, not very low and not very high.

All I have left now is strings as far as I know regarding the sound difference. Anyone who is into the Tele might be able to help out. My memory of the original strings were they were much shinier (very technical description :) ) than the Fender 9's I have on now. These are nickel plated. It just seemed like they were 10's or maybe 9's. I have no real expertise on strings at all so does anyone have a thought on what strings maybe were there before and could it make that much difference?

All I can really say is they seemed to the eye to be a more solid and shiny silver color than these nickel plated ones. I even wondered if there was some type of special issue string Fender put out on this guitar that I am not aware of.

Anything to help is appreciated.
HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010