tell me..

Je_Suis_AliveJe_Suis_Alive Posts: 41
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
tell me...
what is the fuzz about that "given to wail" web sites tabs...
most of them are not right....
I mean..Am I the only musican here that see's it??
learning a tab is not learning guitar...
I KNOW...I'm a bad ass here..
but hey..
I had to say it!
So ..go ahead and destry my thread!!
lol
Pierre

I live in Laval, I'm looking for some musicians to make a band. Drum, bass and guitar are needed. More songs with voices can be sent on demand.
www.myspace.com/fridayzodds
www.myspace.com/vignesartichots
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Some of the bass tabs up there aren't perfect, but it's close enough. My ears lead me in the right direction if they're a half step or so off. Can't imagine the guitar to all be perfect, isn't it only a few guys doing it?
  • I find that about 85-90% of them are head on
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    tell me...
    but hey..
    I had to say it!
    lol

Most of them aren't right??

Those guys put alot of time and detail into those tabs unlike alot of other tab sites too.....

I disagree with you, and if you don't like it, and you're "good enough" to figure them out on your own then don't go to the site....pretty simple.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    It must be nice to be able to just pick up a guitar and play anything you want by ear, but for those of us who aren't "real musicians" giventowail.com is the single greatest source online for good pearl jam tabs and it's worthy of some recognition among PJ fans. It's also worthy of a STICKY, but that's a topic for another post(s).
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I tend to agree, but this isn't about GTW, rather all TAB sites. The problem with tab is that it is an interpretation. As we know from reviews of gear alone, most people have terrible ears. I also find it frustrating that no one bothers to go through it and edit before posting it, rather it seems to be a database of suggestions. Which is fine, but you need to remember that.

On the other hand, the Ten book that was authorized by the band is just as bad and has more errors then many of the tabs I have seen. So what gives? Easy answer, some guy is trying to tab out every note from an Album and that is not an easy task. Even if you were in the stuidio with a band and tabed as they recorded you would have errors.

So what should you do? Use your ears and remember in most cases it is a simple concept, so if the tab is difficult you can bet you ass it is wrong. Often the tabber is trying his best and is not to be blamed for doing you a favor. So if it sounds wrong, try a different tuning or move around and you'll find it!
    I think Garden is the most often f'ed up Tab out there!
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Tabs do what they are supposed to do. They point you in the right direction. It's up to the individual to work out some of the details and in doing so they get to add a bit of themselves to the song. And isn't that why we all play?

If I want to hear a note for note rendition I'll put on the record.

My pet peeve about tabs is they never include strumming patterns.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    tell me...
    but hey..
    I had to say it!
    lol

then why don't you contribute to the community by sending your interpretations in and improving the base of knowledge?
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    surferdude wrote:
    If I want to hear a note for note rendition I'll put on the record.

Amen dude.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I dunno, maybe i aint playing it right or something but i've always wanted to learn Fatal, but if i play the one on Given to Wail it just doesnt sound right. If anyone could maybe try to get the intro riff down down pat i would REALLY appreciate it. I have tried to do it myself without success. I dont really have an ear for music =(

Other than that Given to Wail has been one of the most useful sites on the internet for me. Dont understant why it hasnt been stickied earlier.
  • first of all, we're keeping that sticky because people constantly make threads asking for the best pearl jam tab site, and that's it.

But really man, it's the best way to learn because you can see what you're playing and recognize patterns and chords easier. I wouldn't be able to play by ear nearly as well as i can without learning from tabs first.

Plus almost all those tabs are right..

You must be really terrible if you think most of those tabs are wrong :rolleyes:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"