GDI21 or MIC200 UltraGain Tube

coffee_partycoffee_party Posts: 37
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
can sombody who used the following products from behringer tell me the difference between GDI21 and MIC200 UltraGain Tube aside from MIC200 having actual tubes ?

http://www.behringer.com/GDI21/index.cfm?lang=ENG

and

http://www.behringer.com/MIC200/index.cfm?lang=ENG
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The first box is simply an amplifier modeling preamp, a cheap way to get a bunch of sounds to facilitate recording more easily than having a room full of amplifiers.

The second box, is mainly designed to warm (tube) up the sound to the source on which you are recording or amplifying and they've thrown in amp modelling to make the unit more flexible.

Both can be used for direct injection to the board or recording device but the tube should warm up the tone a bit.

The ultra gain is essentially a standard DI box with modelling thrown in.

The first one is a mainly a guitar modelling box with the capability of DI. If you care more about the models you might want to go with the first one, if you care more about sound quality to a recording you might go with the second.

Also the first one is optimised for guitar, the second can be used for a variety of input sources
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • please help me i am actually a drummer w/ my band but been recording my own stuff from drums, bass to guitar as a hobby and also have a project band, to be specific a reggae punk band where i play w/ my fender strat. please help me decide what i can use better where i prioritize recording my own material w/ my computer and my TASCAM US-224 USB interface at the same time i can use playing live as a pre-amp
  • if you guys are in my situation what would you choose between the 2 ? please need help !
    between the two the ultragain is much better.

but perhaps you should go to a music shop explain the situation to the folks in pro audio, tell them your budget and ask for suggestions, hopefully they have floor units you can demo. That's the best way to get a feel for it.

Also PM McCreadyIsGod. He'll have a better more detailed opinion I'm sure.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • thanks for the suggestion dude ! really appreciated your opinion, i'm here from the philippines and i bought the MIC200 last week and should be arriving here in 3 days i just saw the GD1 and got curious about it. It was way too cheap when buying it online than buying it here in the philippines
    thanks for the suggestion dude ! really appreciated your opinion, i'm here from the philippines and i bought the MIC200 last week and should be arriving here in 3 days i just saw the GD1 and got curious about it. It was way too cheap when buying it online than buying it here in the philippines

you made a better purchase, the MI200 will work well for you.
  • Thanks you my friend ! cheers !