Yellow Ledbetter info wanted

SidetrackedSidetracked Posts: 113
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My husband is slowly but surely being sucked into the PJ world. After I played him his first bootleg, he was quite struck by the sound Mike gets when he plays Ledbetter, i believe he said something like "that's such a pure rock guitar sound". Being a musician himself, he's asked me to ask on the forum whether anyone knows Mike's set up for this song. Get as technical as you like because he'll understand it even if I won't :D

Any info would be much appreciated...as his appreciation of one of my favorite bands will grow ;)
done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    A 1959 Fender Stratocaster for starters!
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    moster78 wrote:
    A 1959 Fender Stratocaster for starters!
    yep, and most likely a vibro amp

btw, i know his exact amp settings too:):
    gain:2
    bass:7
    Mid:7
    treble:6
    reverb:3
    straight from a magazine so its right:)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • seanw1010 wrote:
    straight from a magazine so its right:)

Must Be! ;) lol

Thanks for everything so far...anything else?
    done
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Doesn't he use some sort of fuzz box live?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Mike uses his flange-I get the same exact sound with my strat into a chorus,Ibanez FL-9 (He uses the line 6 MM4), wah, and the tube screamer. I love his sound and I got the information from various places.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    ts-9 + univibe or if your rich unlike me a hughes and kettner rotosphere.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Thanks for all the info everyone :) I knew if I asked here, I'd be sure to get some answers. Everyone is so helpful :cool:

...ohoh...listening to a live version of Sad...
    just caught his attention...
    he likes the riff...
    I may be back...
    ...or he may have to join the board himself...

*heehee* as he slowly gets sucked into the Pearl Jam world :D
    done
    When I buy my amp, the first thing on the list is a tubescreamer.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    When I buy my amp, the first thing on the list is a tubescreamer.

I just got my TS9 back from Keeley yesterday. All I have to say is holy shit.
    You reccomend just getting the Keely version straight away?
    You reccomend just getting the Keely version straight away?

I'd say get one stock, play with it, then decide. I liked it stock, love it now.
  • Thanks for all the info everyone :) I knew if I asked here, I'd be sure to get some answers. Everyone is so helpful :cool:

...ohoh...listening to a live version of Sad...
    just caught his attention...
    he likes the riff...
    I may be back...
    ...or he may have to join the board himself...

*heehee* as he slowly gets sucked into the Pearl Jam world :D

Well, on that riff, all that is used is the clean guitar (but since the tubes are already hot and overdriven, turn the overdrive pedal distortion down and you'll get the same tone
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    moster78 wrote:
    I just got my TS9 back from Keeley yesterday. All I have to say is holy shit.

What exactly does the Keeley mod do, turn it into a TS-808? Or do you have the choice of "TS-808 mode" or "TS9 mode"?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    What exactly does the Keeley mod do, turn it into a TS-808? Or do you have the choice of "TS-808 mode" or "TS9 mode"?

It changes the chip in the pedal to one that sounds more like old TS-808's. Among other things.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=5
  • Hold on, are we talking studio or live? Studio, it's a late 50's strat into a TubeScreamer/Fender bassman or blackface or Marshall JCM800 or 900. But live, it always changes. He uses univibe, rotovibe, flanger, delay, etc. The studio solo tone is one of the best ever.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • No matter what, there's a TS-9. Live, there's the pedals you said, as well as the BOSS Blues Driver-2.
    I agree, the studio solo is brilliant. So he uses a TS-9 and the Bluesdriver?
  • I agree, the studio solo is brilliant. So he uses a TS-9 and the Bluesdriver?
    Yeah, in live shows...On the studio, I am sure it's just a tube screamer. If you listen to livenshows, he uses both and that is partly how he gets that extremly overdriven sound (layered on the wah, phaser, flanger, and the univibe)
    Yeah, in live shows...On the studio, I am sure it's just a tube screamer. If you listen to livenshows, he uses both and that is partly how he gets that extremly overdriven sound (layered on the wah, phaser, flanger, and the univibe)

Having the TS-9 and the BD-2, both Keeley Modded like Mike has creates quite an interesting overdriven sound. I love the TS-9, still trying to find some sweet spots on the BD-2 though, but I'm not giving up on it just yet.
  • moster78 wrote:
    Having the TS-9 and the BD-2, both Keeley Modded like Mike has creates quite an interesting overdriven sound. I love the TS-9, still trying to find some sweet spots on the BD-2 though, but I'm not giving up on it just yet.
    You might as well have it modded by Keeley if you want Mike's sound. I have a nice sound with my TS-5, Fender overdrive with the roc pro 700 (actually, that amp gives the EXACT tone for studio Ledbetter). I also get a good tone with the DS-1 but it's kinda rough.
    You might as well have it modded by Keeley if you want Mike's sound. I have a nice sound with my TS-5, Fender overdrive with the roc pro 700 (actually, that amp gives the EXACT tone for studio Ledbetter). I also get a good tone with the DS-1 but it's kinda rough.

I get not a bad Ledbetter tone with a Godin on single coil>Dynacomp>DS-1>Fender Champ 12.
  • My hubby tells me he suspected some of what you've told him and thanks you all for your help. Cheers :D
    done
  • Bluesdriver? meh....i'm really considering using the TS-9 as my initial crunch and DS-1 for a boost. a little more john frusciante if ya know what i mean!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Bluesdriver? meh....i'm really considering using the TS-9 as my initial crunch and DS-1 for a boost. a little more john frusciante if ya know what i mean!
    Yeah, I use my TS-5 for a boost on my Fender Blender and DS-1...even the amp overdrive. I LOVE the tube screamer-may not be built like a tank (much like the TS-9), but it get's the job done
  • I was wondering if you could drive a TS-9 into a DS-1.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'll let you know after I get my TS-9.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    I was wondering if you could drive a TS-9 into a DS-1.

You could setup your pedals anyway you want. Experiment to see what sounds best. At the moment I have my BD-2 going into the TS-9 which then goes into my AD-9 delay. Mess around with whatever sounds best.
  • Here's my chain

amp-octave-ts5-fender blender-DS-1-wah-Fl9-danelectro milkshake chorus-guitar

then in my effects loop, I have the Digitech Digi-delay-DOD icebox chorus-then the Digitech hyper phase

on top of all that, I have built in overdrive and a moded reverb tank.

I need a noise supressor and a volume pedal. Any suggestions?