First electric guitar

bluejourneymanbluejourneyman Posts: 421
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Bought me a epiphone "les paul/standard."
I learned a few power cords.
Think I'll go on tour lmfao!
Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
(Wolfmother)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grand Rapids 2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ooh ooh *waves hands wildly* can i be your roadie?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • throw panties, please :p
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
    panties aren't my job.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • ,.,,,,,.,,,.,.,.,.,!
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
    i don't recall signing my name to any contract. nor would i ever. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • :p back at ya, baby!
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    this is why i love this forum lol
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    :p back at ya, baby!

just keep it in mind. and no one gets hurt. :p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • That's a very good first electric guitar! Did you play acoustic before? I'm assuming not?
    It's good you did not get a regular LP not just because of the price but because for a new player that weight can be horrible, that is why I will never get one.

Start with these main chords:
    G, E, Em, D, C, A, Am...Those are open chords not bar chords, bar chords can be hard for a beginner (for me bar chords were easier than open chords when I started out)...The F chord, will be the toughest chord for you as a new player, so develop practice with those chords before you move on, a lot of music can be played just using those chords....

Once you get better at them, you can play 7ths and 9ths

Once you get a lot better on guitar, say in a year...change the pickups to Gibson 57 classics and change the tuners...when you do that, you almost have a Gibson LP for less than half the price
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Drew263Drew263 Posts: 602
    That's a very good first electric guitar! Did you play acoustic before? I'm assuming not?
    It's good you did not get a regular LP not just because of the price but because for a new player that weight can be horrible, that is why I will never get one.

G, E, Em, D, C, A, Am...Those are open chords not bar chords, bar chords can be hard for a beginner (for me bar chords were easier than open chords when I started out)...The F chord, will be the toughest chord for you as a new player, so develop practice with those chords before you move on, a lot of music can be played just using those chords....

Once you get a lot better on guitar, say in a year...change the pickups to Gibson 57 classics and change the tuners...when you do that, you almost have a Gibson LP for less than half the price

I'm on my 1st quitar also and it too is an Epi LP standard. But I'm starting to want the real thing. Are they that much heavier?
  • That's a very good first electric guitar! Did you play before? I'm assuming not?

I have an acoustic guitar, it is a yamaha f335. THANKS FOR THE HOT TIPS :)
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • Drew263 wrote:
    I'm on my 1st quitar also and it too is an Epi LP standard. But I'm starting to want the real thing. Are they that much heavier?

MUCH heavier

If I were to ever get an LP it would be an Epiphone Elitist series, it's basically a Gibson LP for half the price, no joke
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    MUCH heavier

If I were to ever get an LP it would be an Epiphone Elitist series, it's basically a Gibson LP for half the price, no joke

Ok this might be a seriously dumbass question but why are they so much heavier? Both are solid body guitars. Is the wood that much different with the Gibson?
  • Drew263 wrote:
    Ok this might be a seriously dumbass question but why are they so much heavier? Both are solid body guitars. Is the wood that much different with the Gibson?

Epiphone is part of the Gibson company

The reason they are much more heavier is indeed because of the wood, much more solid, but if you hit that epiphone into a desk corner, just as hard as you would with a gibson, probably would have the same dent or mark
    Epiphone is part of the Gibson company

The reason they are much more heavier is indeed because of the wood, much more solid, but if you hit that epiphone into a desk corner, just as hard as you would with a gibson, probably would have the same dent or mark

Yeah I knew Epi was a part of Gibson, just didn't realize the actual wood itself was different. Thanks.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Doesn't Epiphone use mahogany plywood, and Gibson uses one big chunk? I think that causes the weight difference.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I've played tons of Epiphone guitars and own a LP '56 goldtop reissue. As long as you get the mid to top end Epi's they're very good guitars. IMO it's not worth it to spend the extra $ on a Gibson unless you're getting an actual classic that is from the old days.
    Leave your lady on the cement floor.

"You boo us, you call us pussies, and still we come back." EV NJ1 2006

2008 MSG 2
    2006 NJ 1, NJ 2
    2003 MSG 1