Attempting (badly) guitar

bluejourneymanbluejourneyman Posts: 421
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
O.k. guyz and gals I've been scaring the mice off with my guitar practice. I have a problem; I have short stubby fingers and can not seem to keep my fingers off the strings I am not suppose to touch. Help!
Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
(Wolfmother)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grand Rapids 2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• they have guitars with slimmer necks and shorter scale lengths, this makes it more comfortable for peopel with smaller hands (mainly females and youngsters, but men as well) and they actually have 3/4 size guitars for kids. The thing is with the smaller guitars they are few and far between in higher quality...another thing is, just practise on the clarity of your playing, you get better with time, and just do not ignore it, keep playign a peice untill you can let the right notes ring, and keep the other strings silent.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • :)
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • elstongunnelstongunn Posts: 285
    if B.B. King can do it, so can you.
    "There are teams that are fair-haired,and those that aren't so fair-haired.Some teams are named Smith,some Grabowski. We're Grabowskis."-Mike Ditka, January 1986

everytime i have to take a crap i sing EVACUATION!!!
    EVACUATION!!
    "i'll let you be in my dream if i can be in your dream." -b.dylan
  • trust me dude, you just gotta keep praticing. I have small hands too and had the same fucking problem. I know it's depressing but keep going. You should pratice Wish You Were Here by pink floyd. It's got some simple picking in the intro and an 4 easy chords (G, C, D, Am). The strumming pattern is simple too.
  • Thanks for the encouragement!
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I'm also a guitarist who has tiny hands.
    I've been playing for about 2 years now and it was brutal in the beginning. What you'll find is that it's not so much your small hands being a problem, rather your fretting hand being weak and unconditioned. Once you practice and play more you'll start to get it. The string buzz will go away as well as the "flat" sounding chords. They sound that way because you aren't holding the stings down hard enough yet and the pads on your fingers are probably touching strings that should be touched. :)
    It'll come. Guitar isn't very easy or very fun at the beginning. You'll get frustrated, you'll get pissed, but once you get it you'll be glad you did and wished you'd started earlier. Practice, practice, practice! :)

BTW...are you playing an acoustic?
  • I will be soon, right now i got a cheap electric guitar.
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I will be soon, right now i got a cheap electric guitar.

I feel, as most do, that it's better to learn on an acoustic. Your hand strength will increase much faster then playing on electric. But, either way...keep it up.
  • Yeah, my sister has bigger hands then I do, but I manage. Heck I mostly play bass too!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/