Never played a guitar

bluejourneymanbluejourneyman Posts: 421
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I want to learn to play the guitar. I am going to take a music reading class this fall. Can anyone tell me the best way to learn through taking private lessons. Furthermore, can anyone tell me the best guitar to learn on?
I dought this matters, but I am forty-one and have small hands.
Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
(Wolfmother)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Grand Rapids 2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    I want to learn to play the guitar. I am going to take a music reading class this fall. Can anyone tell me the best way to learn through taking private lessons. Furthermore, can anyone tell me the best guitar to learn on?
    I dought this matters, but I am forty-one and have small hands.

The best guitar is the one that sounds good to you, and feels comfortable. I like Taylors, but they come standard with Elixir strings and I find them harder to play. I have an Epiphone accoustic that I really like and it is comfortable to play.

Lessons are great for solidifying your skills, but I think working on your own is the best teacher in the beginning, and have you more comfortable when you start lessons.

If you can learn basic chords (major and minor), strumming, and the notes of the fretboard through the first five frets first, then up to the twelth fret, you will not be wasting your money when you start lessons. Applying the notes to the (major and minor) scales is really helpful.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • yeah start on acoustic and just make sure you don't give up. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I'm not personally a guitar player, but a bassist, but, i think the Ibanez guitars are nice, inexpensive and good looking. And, i dunno if this is just me, but I find it easier to teach myself. Look up tabs, get the music, and play them together.
    "I believe everybody should have a room where they get rid of all their releases. So my room was a stage."
    - Jimi Hendrix

"I thought I'd do something nice for the band... I'll hang myself."
    - Jason Newsted, Metallica
  • Thanks for all the incouragement! I really, truly want to learn to play the guitar. I will keep you all informed with my ups and downs:)
    Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
    Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • Good luck! This is all good advice.

Practice atleast 30 mins a day and You will improve rather quickly. You'll soon want to play for hours and hours.
  • Good luck! This is all good advice.

Practice atleast 30 mins a day and You will improve rather quickly. You'll soon want to play for hours and hours.
    yeah, at first it might seem long but now it's like.. "oh it's been 6 hours already? geez... *keeps playing*"
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"