Anyone ever use this Korg Recorder??

Dirty MosquitoDirty Mosquito Posts: 621
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am considering buying this and wanted to hear some feedback if anyone has used it.

I read the reviews and really the only bad one I hear is that it consistantly seems to have not the best reviews for the drum samples, but other than that seems to be good.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-D3200-32Track-Digital-Recording-Studio?sku=242061
Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
Lollapalooza 08-05-07
Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
Wrigley Field 07-19-13
Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have used a previous generation of this recorder, the D1600, and was really happy with it. The only complaint I had about that one was that the mic preamps were not that great, but I hear they've made some improvements in the newer versions. I don't know how easy it is to edit stuff, but for a basic recorder, it's pretty nice.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    It's okay, but for that much $$$ you can get a computer/laptop and install a version of PROTOOLS (when even a 2.0GHz MacBook is only $1099).
    I'd recommend going cheaper if you want a Stand-Alone-Recorder (most SAR's aren't worth the $$$ now-a-days when everything's in Pro Tools).

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    It's okay, but for that much $$$ you can get a computer/laptop and install a version of PROTOOLS (when even a 2.0GHz MacBook is only $1099).
    I'd recommend going cheaper if you want a Stand-Alone-Recorder (most SAR's aren't worth the $$$ now-a-days when everything's in Pro Tools).

- Ian

Thanks for the tip. The thing is, I was going to go that route, but the cost of a computer, plus program, plus the interface, plus preamps, etc, would easily be like $2500-$4000. I was trying to save some money and use this, being that it does record in 24bit.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Thanks for the tip. The thing is, I was going to go that route, but the cost of a computer, plus program, plus the interface, plus preamps, etc, would easily be like $2500-$4000. I was trying to save some money and use this, being that it does record in 24bit.
    A minimal Pro-Tools setup has an interface: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Mini-?sku=700498

And if you step it up a little bit more it also includes a preamp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Mbox-2-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=240479

If you got a computer and the Mbox-2 it'd be about the same as the $1300 stand-alone-unit.
    You don't need to go all out with the computer, just get the requirements:

* PC requirements: Intel Pentium 4, Centrino, Core Duo, or AMD Athlon XP and 64-class processors and chips; Windows XP Home
    or Professional, Service Pack 2 (Vista not supported); 768MB RAM; Open USB port (USB hubs not supported); DVD-ROM drive.

* Mac requirements: G4 processor (933MHz or higher), G5 processor, or Intel-based Macs; Mac OS X version 10.4; 768MB RAM;
    Open USB port (USB hubs not supported); DVD-ROM drive

- Ian
  • One disadvantage with the MBox ProTools rigs is that you're seriously limited on inputs. With the Korg, you have 8 mic preamps, and 12 simultaneous inputs. With the MBox, you get 2 mic preamps. That means if you want to record a full drum set, you either record it 2 tracks at a time, or you buy an external mixer and mix everything BEFORE you record. Which kind of defeats the purpose of multi-track recording to begin with.

That Korg could easily record a full rock band at once. The MBox can record a solo musician layering everything in one at a time.

If you only want to record, say, acoustic guitar and vocals, and maybe overdub another guitar part later, then an MBox is great. But if you want to do band recordings, you would need something like a Digi 002 or Digi 003, which are considerably more expensive than an MBox. Also, you would still need to get more mic preamps to use all of the 002/003 inputs, as they both have only 4 preamps.

And this is from a dedicated ProTools user. It's great, but you would need a lot more stuff to get the same number of simultaneous tracks.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    As much of a computer geek as I am, I would still prefer a mixer/recorder stand-alone unit to something like ProTools which exists entirely on my PC. I would much rather be able to control everything with physical knobs, and then use some post-recording software like Adobe Audition, CoolEdit, or something like that to edit recorded clips. Just my preference.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Thanks for all your suggestions.
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
  • There's something to be said about a stand alone unit.

I have a Firepod with 8 inputs, with Cubase and I got it working, but for recording a band, it's complicated for my musician brain.
    I originally had it into a 933MHz mac which mets the requirement, but it was too slow for more than one input. . I have it into a bigger computer now and now "latency" and all that crap I have no real desire to deal with but am learning.
    I think it depends on your brain. I have the brain of a , "Let's get a good performance down on tape or on some sort of disc", not fiddling away with loops and effects and staring at a computer screen wondering where my file went. :D

Some people have the brain to do all the digital stuff and either brain isn't better than the other, you just have to do what fits you!

My friend has a stand alone Yamaha with knobs and CD recorder right on it and it sounds really good and is easy to use and you can just whip it out and turn it on at a moment's notice.

If you're just recording one input at a time like they said above, the Mbox works fine, but if it's a band situation and you need 8 inputs, then you should look into that.

McCready is God once described me as the guy who plugs his guitar into the amp and maybe an effect or two and turns it to ten and rests a beer on it and not worry about all the other stuff, or something like that, and he was right. :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • McCready is God once described me as the guy who plugs his guitar into the amp and maybe an effect or two and turns it to ten and rests a beer on it and not worry about all the other stuff, or something like that, and he was right. :D

No, no, no Bob...

You're the guy who reminds us to take things a little less seriously, and that the music is more important than the toys.
  • No, no, no Bob...

You're the guy who reminds us to take things a little less seriously, and that the music is more important than the toys.

I knew it was something like that! :D The beer IS on the amp, though!

People get so caught up in the process rather than the music.

I say that as I have struggled with a Firepod and all that digital recording stuff and I just want an old cassette recorder.
    I'm actually liking the look of that Korg thing! I may have to check that out!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart