Guitar buying advice

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I own a acoustic Yamaha which I love,
And I own a Ovation acoustic electric that I am not happy with.
I want to sell it and buy another acoustic electric.
I am looking to spend under $400.00.
I have not tried other guitars so I am in the dark on brands.
Could anyone help?
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Brands to check out:

Art & Luthrie
    Alvarez
    Takamine
    Seagull

All good quality guitars, I know all of these makers offer great acoustics for around $400 or less, the acoustic-electric thing I'm not sure of. Worst case, you could just get one and then install a soundhole pickup yourself (not hard at all).

edit:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-EG340SC-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512207
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-S6-Folk-Gloss-Top-Guitar?sku=512363
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Novawind wrote:
    Brands to check out:

Art & Luthrie
    Alvarez
    Takamine
    Seagull

All good quality guitars, I know all of these makers offer great acoustics for around $400 or less, the acoustic-electric thing I'm not sure of. Worst case, you could just get one and then install a soundhole pickup yourself (not hard at all).

edit:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-G-Series-EG340SC-Dreadnought-Cutaway-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512207
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-S6-Folk-Gloss-Top-Guitar?sku=512363

I agree with Nova on all those brands!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Thanks, I will look into them.
    What about a smaller body guitar?
    My Yamaha is pretty wide. Do they make a small body? If so what brand or what is the correct name?
    Or is something like that for kids or girls?
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    My Yamaha is pretty wide. Do they make a small body? If so what brand or what is the correct name?
    You're probably thinking a parlour sized or classical or grand auditorium? I think some Taks have smaller bodies, and have no idea about Alvarez.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

Yes yamaha do make smaller body guitars. The one's i've seen have never had a sign for kids or girls so i assume anyone can use them. Funnily enough girls can play normal sized guitars. *Sarcasm over*

I have a Maton and it's brilliant but i'm not sure of the availability of them where you are living. It's an Australian brand so you may not be able to find them easily. Aussies swear by them. Awesome. Best of luck with finding something that you like.

http://www.maton.com.au/
    Thanks all!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • In my opinion Art & Luthrie are the best bang for the buck.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    You're the acoustic guy, shouldn't you know all this?

Just kidding of course.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Someone mentioned the Seagull brand... they're great guitars, but make sure you play them before you order one. Their necks are distinctively extra fat, which some people like and some people hate. I don't prefer either kind of neck over the other, but most people have a strong preference.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    You're the acoustic guy, shouldn't you know all this?

Just kidding of course.

Funny.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    So I have been serching around and I think I just do not like the sound of a Acoustic Electric?
    I think the sound is to shallow or something. Maybe to twangy. Ya know what I mean?
    I still love my Yamaha.
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
    So I have been serching around and I think I just do not like the sound of a Acoustic Electric?
    I think the sound is to shallow or something. Maybe to twangy. Ya know what I mean?
    I still love my Yamaha.
    Do you mean plugged in or unplugged?

There shouldn't be much of a sound difference unplugged between two of the samemodels, one acoustic and one acoustic/electric.

Plugged in, an acoustic amp may help.
    Do you mean plugged in or unplugged?

There shouldn't be much of a sound difference unplugged between two of the samemodels, one acoustic and one acoustic/electric.

Plugged in, an acoustic amp may help.

Unplugged. Well if one is Dreadnought shaped then ofcourse it will sound deeper, but to me they sound different.
    Do any of you have an Acous.Electric ?
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I have heard some people say that the space the electronics takes up can affect the tone of a pup equipped acoustic.
    I have not heard the smae about cutaways, interestingly.
    Music is not a competetion.