starting out

dontcallmydaughterdontcallmydaughter Posts: 64
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I just bought a guitar, and have been playing around with chords and what not. I was wondering what is the best pearl jam song for a beginner player?
boston: 7/91, 8/92, 4/94, 9/98(x2), 8/00(x2), 7/03(x3), 9/04(x2), 5/06(x2).
augusta: 9/96
montreal: 9/05
hartford: 5/06
St. Paul: 6/06
las vegas: 7/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ledhed43ledhed43 Posts: 114
    corduroy is a little fast and the bar chords are tough at first but its not a terrible place to start. try it at half speed and work your way up to the real thing(this will help you play a lot of stuff). it has been said that it is easier to slow down and learn stuff the right way than to play it wrong and have to unlearn bad technique.

elderly woman is a good one for beginners.

sometimes might be alright(the rhythm gets a bit tricky) and not for you could be fun. thats all i got right now.

nothing will be easy at first. but stick it out through the first few months and it gets a lot more fun. just for the hell of it here are a few of the first songs i ever learned that arent pearl jam.

the doors people are strange(very dumbed down version though)
    pink floyd wish you were here
    jimi hendrix hey joe (just the chords first then get the fills)

you also may want to try anything of the white stripes or bob dylan if you like them, but by all means avoid the zeppelin at first. that will just frustrate the living $h** out of you trust me. i wanted to quit cause someone told me to learn stairway first. bad bad idea. hope these help.
    Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best.

~Frank Zappa
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Not For You I think is the easiest PJ guitar song (not sure, I play bass).
    If you like Nirvana that's a better place to start. All their songs are easy and fun to play.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    My first song was Long Road
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Drifting was easy for me.
    Down was ok after a little practice.
    I am Mine didn't give me any trouble whatsoever.
    Betterman... might take a little work to get it to sound like the real thing, but the basic chords (D-A-G) are simple.

I also agree with sennin on Long Road (D, A, G, Em)
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Novawind wrote:
    Drifting was easy for me.
    Down was ok after a little practice.
    I am Mine didn't give me any trouble whatsoever.
    Betterman... might take a little work to get it to sound like the real thing, but the basic chords (D-A-G) are simple.

I also agree with sennin on Long Road (D, A, G, Em)

The It's OK tag is pretty easy too......along with all the other 7-9 songs. Corduroy, In My Tree.....easy to get the basics down anyway.
  • The good news is Pearl Jam really has a lot of relatively easy songs to learn (rythmn anyways). Off the top of my head:

Release: good song to practise picking w/o moving your fingers too much.
    Alive chorus: E-G-D-A
    Betterman: Not too difficult, but practises skipping strings to pick.
    Elderly Woman: Basic chords
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Thumbing My Way isn't too difficult, in my opinion. I just started maybe a month and a half ago, and TMW isn't too bad, as long as you break it up and learn little sections at a time.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • dsvelunddsvelund Posts: 31
    i think the easiest songs to play along to for beginners would be long road, not for you, and smile. for smile, if i was just starting out, i'd use a regular b minor chord instead of the slightly trickier one they use. and drifting is pretty easy as well.
    2010 fire watcher