What Guitar Is This????

bonowallbonowall Posts: 116
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I was looking through the Live Daily pictures form the SF#1 show and came across a guitar that Mike had that i had NEVER seen before. A friend of mine thought it was a jazzmaster but i can't find it anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!

http://www.livedaily.com/photos/238-27.html
HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:
www.myspace.com/greendisease06

Web Site:
www.wallsstreetjournal.net

Proud Volunteer of:
www.wishlistfoundation.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    possibly a gibson firebird kinda thing but the scratchplate looks kinda wrong to me.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah it's a gibson one of the reverse body firebird varieties.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    so is that a point to me? ahaha
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    a guy i was in a band with for a short while had an epi firebird... i say had cause he threw against a wall at the back of the stage after a gig and smashed the neck off.... twat.
    kigcat wrote:
    so is that a point to me? ahaha

2 points. Now the next question, is it modern or vintage, and has it been modified? :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    its mike so its gotta be vintage.... but then again it does look rather clean and shiny for him..... The dirty dirty guitar whoremaster that he is.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's a non reverse firebird but doesn't add up with any of the models currently being produced since it's got conventional HBs.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Mike has a couple new guitars on this tour.
    The Jimi Hendrix Flying V
    The EDS-1275 reissue
    2 new LP's
    and a couple new Tele's
    Everything else is vintage, including the nashville, the firebird, and the jr.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • bonowallbonowall Posts: 116
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - I found it. It's either the:

Firebird - v12 (12 string guitar...it could be if you look closely at the pic)
    http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/gib66p9.php

or

Firebird 1 - (that's it for sure)
    http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/gib66p13.php

Some detailed info:
    In 1966 the instrument was relaunched with a new body shape and set neck (rather than through neck from older models) construction. This was known as the non-reverse Firebird. In addition to the existing Firebird models, a 12-string was also produced. The Firebird I and II were now equipped with P90 single coil soapbars - the humbuckers only on the V, VII and XII.

Gibson Firebird custom colour chart
    The instruments were manufactured in 1966 and 1967, but were still being shipped as late as 1969. Despite a tiny rise in 1966, sales can only be described as dreadful.
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:
    www.myspace.com/greendisease06

Web Site:
    www.wallsstreetjournal.net

Proud Volunteer of:
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    That's it! Late 60's Firebird V or VII.

Ugly IMHO.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    That's it! Late 60's Firebird V or VII.

Ugly IMHO.

Sure beats some of the stuff from the mid 80's :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • yeah i was gonna say it was a thunderbird, but you beat me

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    it's not a V or a VII. both of those are reverse.

firebirds are wicked guitars.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I think its the axe he's using to play Leash.
  • here it is, the non-reverse thunderbird

http://player.gibson.com/sept02/images/nr_firebirdplus1a.jpg

same pickgaurd and everything, the other "birds" dont have it. Originally it was made from 66-69, then it got discontinued, it was brought up as a reissue a few times throughout the decades but it is not a sought after collectors item. The revese bodies are the ones collectors like. pictures here

http://www.musik-service.de/images/ProduX/395753394j00.jpg

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    exhausted wrote:
    it's not a V or a VII. both of those are reverse.

firebirds are wicked guitars.

I stand corrected. It is a non reverse thunderbird. I still find it Ugly.

Oh well, fender had the Antigua, so.....

and hey, it's far from hot pink BC Rich.

I did the paint job from the example though Harrison.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    yeah i was gonna say it was a thunderbird, but you beat me

Thunderbirds are the bass guitar version of the Firebird body. And they kick some serious ass...

It does vaguely resemble a Jaguar or Jazzmaster, not a bad call. Note the Firebird graphic towards the top of the pickguard.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Hasn't that guitar been sacrificed out on the west coast?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/