Comments on the Gibson SG supreme

PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey, I have been working all summer and would like to buy a new guitar. At the local store I saw an emerald bust SG Supreme and have tried it out and love it, the sound, the weight of the guitar, and everything else. However a mear 25 minute test run is not enough to convince me to get it, and i was wondering if anyone here owns, or has had extended play with an SG Supreme, and how it compares to the equivalent priced LP model (the other one I was looking at).

Thanks,

Peatrical
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have an SG standard so i guess i can't help too much. i love it to death as far as feel and tone go though. i've got a les paul custom as well and i'll grab the SG first most of the time. the difference in weigh and neck access are key.

where these the supremes at long & mcquade?
  • The supreme just comes with a few minor differences (one being supreme has 2 more frets), and two major ones - being the wood and the pick ups (57' humbuckers and AA maple top, as opposed to all mohagony).

I like the les paul's sound and have played on both a epiphone les paul, and an epiphone sg for years. It is quite a dilema, as both sound sweet and each have their perks. After playing for around 8 years in some capacity or another I'd like
    to move into a more proffesional classed guitar.

http://gibson.com/Files/images/sgsupremeNUburstgreen.jpg

that is the one I am lookign at to buy.

Any further coments are greatly apreciated
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the neck profile is the thinner, 60s type as well. which may or may not be the same as the les paul you're looking at since i don't know the model in question.

i like the thicker profiles but that's just a preference. i prefer the rougher tone from the SG over the paul too. since mine have identical electronics, that's all down to wood and construction.

if it fits and you like the aethetics, go for it.

i haven't seen anyone else post about the supremes here. i've got the standard, other folks have SG classics or faded models. one guy had a townshend for a while. we all generally are happy with them.
  • Alright good to hear. Like I said whe n itried it out it was like heaven, but 25 minutes isn't always enough. I like Les Paul's, but they are kinda thick, and well everyone has a les paul or a strat these days (atleast out of the people I play with lots), that and there are no green LP's out there.

But for the skae of gathering a little more info, Exhausted, could you do a somewhat in depth breakdown of your LP vs your SG?

If you would thanks a lot for the time. I have tried both kinds of guitars and am not sure which way to go s0 any LP vs SG would be helpfull.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Well, that's the SG equivalent to the LP Custom.

It's probably the 60's profile neck, you get the better Grover machines, 57 classics a gorgeous bound ebony (fast, bright solid feeling) fretboard.

If you have the money, and you like that guitar, it's one of the better SG's around in my opinion. It will be a lot easier on your back than an LP custom. If you played it for 25 minutes and the feel is right, and the tone is right in your head and you love the look, hey, sounds like you've made your decision.

The SG Supreme, is essentially a Les Paul Custom, with a different inlay, and obviously a different body shape. Les Pauls have a fatter darker tone. SG's are more bright and vibrant due to the slab body, the ebony accentuates that, the SG Supremes also tend to be built with the better wood stock than some of the others.

Another one you might check out is the Les Paul SG. A 3 pickup (usually white but it can be had in Ebony or Pelham Blue if you're lucky) SG 57 classics, and LP custom trim.

But if you like that guitar and it feels right, it probably is right you know. It's an excellent choice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Awsome thanks alot for the info. Some of that I found out through observation, and I noticed that les pauls are beasts. expecially some of the higher end ones. I am gratefull for what you said because it pretty much reasured everything I thought when I tried it out, and I am probably going to go put the big down payment down today.

Thanks alot Pacomc 79.