Traynor YCX12BLUE - 40w / 12 inch Extension Cabinet

PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
edited July 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
So that extension speaker traynor is advertising on their website is really tempting me.

I use a YCV 50 blue right now, and they say it is the perfect mate for it. What I want to know is does anyone here use this in conjunction with a 50 blue, and if so is it as good as traynor says it is?

Now 50 watts of all tube power on the amp its self is very good, but I like more power and sleek traynor designs.... Help a pearl jam fan out...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I have no experience with it, but I assume it'd be fantastic.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    You should PM Dirty_Frank about this.....

He's got alot of knowledge about the 50BLUE's and I'm pretty sure he has the Traynor Extension Cab for his YCV80 :)

Hopefully he could help you.
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • From what I have personally read...doesn't mean I'm right at all because I haven't had first hand experience since I don't need an extension cab.

I heard that the extension cabs work a lot better with the 80s better than the 40s and 50Blues. But of course to work with the 80 you need to get the cab for the 80.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • PeatricalPeatrical Posts: 59
    Hmm thanks for the pointers. I think I will just go to long and mcquade and ask them if they have a 50 with the 40 watt extension set up in store and try it. Or just ask the sales rep about it - I am sure one of them is a traynor user.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    The first thing you notice, is that the extension cab doesn't make the amp louder. It just fills in the sound more. Although in some situations, pushing more air through more speakers will make it louder, it doesn't do that with at least the YCV80. It adds low end and tightens up things a bit.

The cab itself is of good quality, and decently priced.

They're always good to have too.
  • The first thing you notice, is that the extension cab doesn't make the amp louder. It just fills in the sound more. Although in some situations, pushing more air through more speakers will make it louder, it doesn't do that with at least the YCV80. It adds low end and tightens up things a bit.

At one time weren't you running that YCV80 through a 412 Marshall cab?

that's gotta be fuckin loud
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    At one time weren't you running that YCV80 through a 412 Marshall cab?

that's gotta be fuckin loud

That was loud. I think the cab had V30s in it, whereas the 212 ext has 70/80s.

I used to run it through a Mesa 412 at practice, and I have some hearing loss in my right ear because of it. :)

I've learned that there's no point on being unneccesary with volume since then.
    That was loud. I think the cab had V30s in it, whereas the 212 ext has 70/80s.

I used to run it through a Mesa 412 at practice, and I have some hearing loss in my right ear because of it. :)

I've learned that there's no point on being unneccesary with volume since then.

My dad has hearing loss from playing.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    The first thing you notice, is that the extension cab doesn't make the amp louder. It just fills in the sound more. Although in some situations, pushing more air through more speakers will make it louder, it doesn't do that with at least the YCV80. It adds low end and tightens up things a bit.

Those dasterdly people at the yorkville/traynor website told me it would add more volume!!!! Ah well, like you said nothing wrong with having one and I like how you said it fills in the sound. I guess I need to try it.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    What is the difference between the Custom Valves and the Blue Custom Valves?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...

Different speaker, different circutry (sp), the Blue has a Master Volume.
    I also think they have different stock tubes.
  • What is the difference between the Custom Valves and the Blue Custom Valves?

I'll make it simple:

YCV40(WR) - Clean (10/10) Overdrive (7.5/10)
    50BLUE - Clean (7/10) Overdrive (10/10)

Both The YCV40WR and 50BLUE use Vintage 30 speakers. The regular YCV40 has a Red Label speaker. Plus the tubes are different, and I'm not that educated on tubes so I won't act like I do.

Has anyone noticed that they cut their warranty back? It used to be a 5 Year "Even if you break it we will replace it" warranty. Now it's a 2 years transferable warranty? WTF?! They are getting popular so they aren't getting too friendly with their stuff I see. Plus their prices have increased about 100$ as opposed to about 6-9 months ago.
    I'll make it simple:

YCV40(WR) - Clean (10/10) Overdrive (7.5/10)
    50BLUE - Clean (7/10) Overdrive (10/10)

Both The YCV40WR and 50BLUE use Vintage 30 speakers. The regular YCV40 has a Red Label speaker. Plus the tubes are different, and I'm not that educated on tubes so I won't act like I do.

Has anyone noticed that they cut their warranty back? It used to be a 5 Year "Even if you break it we will replace it" warranty. Now it's a 2 years transferable warranty? WTF?! They are getting popular so they aren't getting too friendly with their stuff I see. Plus their prices have increased about 100$ as opposed to about 6-9 months ago.

I think the unconditional warranty was always 2 years. You get a 5 year warranty on the speakers and enclosures.

The range works as:

YCV20
    YCV40
    YCV80 (has a master)

All of these use Celestian Seventy/80 12 inch speakers, 6L6 power tubes, and 12ax7 preamp tubes.

The YCV40WR is a YCV40, but covered in maroon tolex, and has an oatmeal grill cover. It has a Celestian vintage 30 speaker in it, but that's about where the change ends.

The YCV50Blue has a Vintage 30 as well, but a different circuit layout, to make it sound more like a Marshall rather than a Fender. It uses EL34 power tubes.

All of the amps can have tubes and speakers swapped out to improve on certain aspects of the tone, but basically with a little extra aftermarket cash, you can get most tones you could ever want.
  • Dirty I think you should get a BLUE and every 6 months we switch amps with each other :D

And when one of us has a gig we send the other over so we have the YCV40WR for clean and the 50BLUE for distortion :D:D
  • edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331

I bought the YCV20WR in an effort to get a great tone without pissing off my neighbors and my wife & kids. This was like 2 years ago and I could have sworn Traynor/Yorkville offered a 10 year warranty on that stuff. I should probably go back and read the warranty, but I remember being so impressed w/ that warranty that I bought it (along with extensive reviews on HarmonyCentral, et al.).

Glad to see some Traynor fans in here. So many musicians I know have never heard of Traynor amps.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • 7/10 clean on the 50? I love the clean tone on the 50 and almost use it exclusively. You don't do it justice...
  • Peatrical wrote:
    7/10 clean on the 50? I love the clean tone on the 50 and almost use it exclusively. You don't do it justice...

I like it too. It's not as chimey as the 40 or 80. Much darker sounding; more like a Mesa than a Fender.
    I like it too. It's not as chimey as the 40 or 80. Much darker sounding; more like a Mesa than a Fender.

I agree. I just prefer Fender cleans.
  • I find fender cleans too twangy. Ah well to each his own.