Some Follow Up On My Overdrive Pedal

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok,

So I went to the store today and tried the Boss Super Overdrive, and the TS9.

I tried them both with the exact amp I have at home so I could get a good feel, and I loved the Boss. It had an awesome tone and I just loved the sound.

The TS9 didn't really do it for me but I talked to the guy at the store and it was because of the amp. He said that the TS9 is probably one of the best at what it does, but it does something different than the Boss. He said it's used by so many pros because of their gear, he said it shines through a 100 watt Marshall Tube Amp.

This Boss one seemed to be the tone I was looking for and he said that when I later upgrade to a tube amp that it will still work great.

It's also a really good price, it was only like $65.

Anyway, I think I'm going to get that but I'm gonna keep researching.

I wanna try the Blues Driver and maybe the Overdrive (regular one).

Is there any others I should try before I settle on one?

And how do the Blues Driver and the Normal Overdrive compare to the Super?

Thanks!!
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• glad you like it.

and not to be a downer about it but you paid a little more for it than you had to. But that is the price you pay to be able to try it out before buying...then again we've all paid that price before :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • $65 CDN is actually a pretty good price. I think I paid $110 when I got mine a long time ago. The SD-1 is a really versitile pedal and I'm sure you'll like it. One of my favourite settings is to keep the gain low, the volume high and just crank my amp's clean channel.

It does really shine with high gain too. It cleans up the sound quite a bit and focuses the gain into a nice tight pocket of sustain.
  • $65 CDN is actually a pretty good price. I think I paid $110 when I got mine a long time ago. The SD-1 is a really versitile pedal and I'm sure you'll like it. One of my favourite settings is to keep the gain low, the volume high and just crank my amp's clean channel.

It does really shine with high gain too. It cleans up the sound quite a bit and focuses the gain into a nice tight pocket of sustain.

Lol...guys, guys,

I didn't get it yet :D:D:D

I was just curious whether or not I should...:)

Or look at some other models maybe??

"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    i use a sd1 along with a bd2 in my live rig. I love the blues driver and its fast becoming my favourite pedal i usually use the sd1 before the bd2 to drive it a bit harder. I find the sd1 sounds a bit too nasally and you seem to lose some of the natural tone of your guitar but as a boost on top of a bd2 it really works for me :)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the BD2 is generally a little more transparent and has a touch more gain. a good number 2 after the SD1.

good choice.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.