Options

What Is The Difference Between A Tube Amp, & a Solid State??

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I should know this, but everyone seems to frown at the solid-state amps.

What is so good about a tube amp that the solid state one's don't have??

Just curious.

Thanks
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I should know this, but everyone seems to frown at the solid-state amps.

What is so good about a tube amp that the solid state one's don't have??

Just curious.

Thanks

This ones a classic:-)
    1. more character
    2. mind of there own
    3 Organic sound
    4. lots of weight!

I'm not going to go into the science, but i have both and there is a difference where tone is concerned. the main one being that distortion on a SS amp tends to be a bit brittle and harsh compared with tubes. Tubes tend to do crazy things when pushed to max too. SS state is alright in my opinion, but not as good as tubes. i have a 70's HH 2x12 combo and thats solid state, but being fairly old its made very well and i like the sound from it, pretty warm and deep. fuckin loud to, and thats 100 watts. my 60 watt tube amp totally kills it with a 4x12 but its still holds its own.

Amps vary so much from model to model, builder to builder that the only way to make up your mind is to play and compare $.

I would still rather have a 15 watt tube amp than a hundred watt SS amp any day. they work better with pedals too.

go with your budget, try to get the best for your money.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Options
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Options
    Thanks Guys!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    also remember that wattage doesn't mean loudness.

I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) a 100 watt solid state = 30-40 watt tube amp when it comes to volume
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    also remember that wattage doesn't mean loudness.

I believe (and correct me if i'm wrong) a 100 watt solid state = 30-40 watt tube amp when it comes to volume

Even tube wattage varies from amp to amp. The loudest amp I've ever played was a 50 watt Laney. It was beyond loud.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Even tube wattage varies from amp to amp. The loudest amp I've ever played was a 50 watt Laney. It was beyond loud.

My roommate finally moved in his amp last night, a 40 Watt Fender Deluxe. He said he's never put it over 2 on the volume. I thought my 15 Watt Blue Junior was loud, I can't wait to plug into his.
  • Options
    yeah i got 40 watts no knowing how loud it was going to be...never goes psat 1 in the bedroom...at jamming aorund 3 or 4 other times 5 or 6 with my good drummer
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2