Options

Who Here Can Play The "Alive" Solo????

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Is it hard?

Am I getting ahead of myself here??....I've been playing for a year and am doin' pretty well, but I don't know about this yet.

Lol...be honest :)

Thanks
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i don't learn solos note for note...
    it's just Em pentatonic...once you have that, it's pretty simple.
    and it's about half the other songs too...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    *waves*

I worked on this one a lot for my band in highschool. I no longer learn solos note for note. The only solos I know note for note are Alive, Man in the Box and Nothing Else Matters.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    It's easy enough. Yep.
  • Options
    Learnign solos note-for-note is so ridiculous it's laughable.

if we did that Rock music would have no soul ;)

a friend of mine who's just starting to play and reallllly listen to music kept saying "he must be playing a live version" when i would do a solo.

we actually thought that every solo was carefully planned out like that.

i thought it was funny :)

but yeah yeah,... Emin / G major scale.

go for it tiger.

but don't get too ahead of yourself... and more importantly.. don't get frustrated :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    I know what you guys are sayin :)

But don't you think some solo's should be played note for note??

Like "Alive" ......you guys know what I mean :)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options

I think Alive has plenty of room for improv, as long as the main theme remains. Something like Man in the Box though, it's very unique and I always opted into keeping it the exact same.
  • Options
    I think Alive has plenty of room for improv, as long as the main theme remains. Something like Man in the Box though, it's very unique and I always opted into keeping it the exact same.
    well there are Fills and Riffs... and there are solos. ;)

"Make our day"
  • Options
    well said...
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    i usually do the first few measures just like the album, and then i veer off in my own direction

mike usually does that too

it is good to learn solos note for note, cuz then you get ideas

for example, learn the alive solo, and use licks from it while soloing to 12 bar blues

or, learn the Stairway to Heaven solo, and use licks from it while soloing to Alive

or use licks from every solo you've ever learned, and mix them all up as you solo to "i think we're alone now" by tiffaney (my band plays a punk version of that
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    or use licks from every solo you've ever learned, and mix them all up as you solo to "i think we're alone now" by tiffaney (my band plays a punk version of that

i have the 12" extended dance remix of this song, and i like to put it on during some cold winter nights, and just dance around my room, in my underwear, with only lit candles, and just feel the magic.

the single version is good, but the extended dance remix is pure tiffany synth heaven.

::heart palpitations::
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    i have the 12" extended dance remix of this song, and i like to put it on during some cold winter nights, and just dance around my room, in my underwear, with only lit candles, and just feel the magic.

the single version is good, but the extended dance remix is pure tiffany synth heaven.

::heart palpitations::
    a) i hope you're a girl

b) i didn't mean to make this thread veer off in this direction, i wanted to talk about soloing techniques
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options

...main theme of the solo... main theme of the solo...
  • Options
    my rule of thumb is key riffs need to be played in a solo, other than than make it your own, were not mccready, hendrix, srv, or anybody, so know the key and scale, learn an essential riff, then rip

exception: Stairway to heaven (if your good enough to play the solo) because if you dont get thsi perfect, you'll never land another gig, best bet is to leave that oen for the basement

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    EvvoEvvo Posts: 193
    E blues scale and you've nailed it (plus Eminor pentatonic notes)
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    a) i hope you're a girl

b) i didn't mean to make this thread veer off in this direction, i wanted to talk about soloing techniques

i am a dude. a real rocking dude.
    the dude. dude-a-rino ... the dude-meister.
    dude-o-rama.

if you want to learn solos note for note, go download Guitar Pro 4 and find the tab zip files out there on p2ps like Emule ... the GP4 tab for alive is pretty well done. i think the solo may be a bit shorter than on record, but it's also damn accurate - imho.

while i don't necessarily think playing from tab is a great idea, playing to tab that is playing along with you (GP4) is a much better one ... and seeing it, while hearing your comp. play it back, and also playing along really helps to develop a sense of the scale positions .... at least, it has helped me ...

and then, when i get tired of trying to play it note for note, i just mute the lead\solo track, and go at it myself ...

:D

so ...
    children behave.
    that's what they say when we're togeather.
    and watch how you play,
    they don't understand and so we're ...
    ::sick synth riff here::
    ... running just as fast as we can
    ::more sick synth::
    ...holding on to one anothers hand
    try to get away
    in to the night
    and then you put your arms around me
    and we stumble to the ground
    and then you say
    ::really sick long synth breakdown here::
    i think we're alone now
    there doesn't seem to be anyone around
    i think we're alone now
    the beating of our hearts is the only sound
    ::super long synth lead breakaway coolness here::
  • Options
    ^

Your dudeness.

Mr lowboski :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

"Make our day"
  • Options
    or duder, for the "Orgasmo" fans.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Some solos need to be learned note for note (Stairway, Comfortably Numb) and others you can mess with. (Play the first few bars of the Freebird Solo, rip, insert a couple of licks from the solo, etc...). I'm thinking about learning Eruption Note For Note, any suggestions.

P.S. Alive isn't that hard, just a pentatonic scale.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Some solos need to be learned note for note (Stairway, Comfortably Numb) and others you can mess with. (Play the first few bars of the Freebird Solo, rip, insert a couple of licks from the solo, etc...). I'm thinking about learning Eruption Note For Note, any suggestions.

P.S. Alive isn't that hard, just a pentatonic scale.

I played Eruption with my old band in highschool. It's not as hard as it looks/sounds if you already have the speed down. I was lucky because I already developed speed from all those retarded Speed Mechanics books.

I used the March 2003 Guitar World for Eruption. It has Dime and Zakk on the cover and has a walkthrough of Eruption lick by lick. It was really helpful.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    robbie krieger can ;)
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I played Eruption with my old band in highschool. It's not as hard as it looks/sounds if you already have the speed down. I was lucky because I already developed speed from all those retarded Speed Mechanics books.

I used the March 2003 Guitar World for Eruption. It has Dime and Zakk on the cover and has a walkthrough of Eruption lick by lick. It was really helpful.

I can do the tapping and tremelo picking part. And I have a walkthrough of Eruption in my GW as well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    Y2A 66Y2A 66 Posts: 11
    I have actually learned the solo note for note cause it's just so kickass, but when I play it I always mix it up a little. I think you should keep the heart of the solo but still change it enough to keep it fresh. I don't really like going too far on either side of that. Meaning, playing it note for note vs. changing the whole thing
    saw things so much clearer...
    want you...in my....REARVIEW MIRROR
    ---
    One thing that I know for sure gonna give her the loving
    Like nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody can.
  • Options
    As far as soloing goes if found the alive solo really useful to learn from. Sure i cant play it all, or quite note for note, but trying to learn bits of it ages ago started me off with a the whole soloing thing. Kinda took me from being totally in the dark, to knowing how certain techniques are used etc.
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170

absolutely not. such a personal song needs a personal solo. learning a solo means it is coming from the brain not the heart and soul.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    absolutely not. such a personal song needs a personal solo. learning a solo means it is coming from the brain not the heart and soul.

Well said man

.NJD.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

but what about Lukin?
    you think he should learn that one note for note?

;)
  • Options
    but what about Lukin?
    you think he should learn that one note for note?

;)

Lol......:D

I'm in the process of learning it right now guys, i've got the first little bit down, I'm stuck where he jumps to the 17th fret though....I'll keep at it.:)

And to Jeremy1012:

I'm gunna learn most of it note-for-note just so I can always keep the theme, but I've already started improvising a bit. :)

.NJD.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Its pretty hard to improvise a solo that sounds decent when you are a beginner. Am i right? Its not a bad thing, it will help a newb learn some cool riffs from the guitarists he or she looks up to. Another good thing is it helps people improve their pitch recognition by listening over and over and trying to mimic note for note.
    how am i supposed to sign here?
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Its pretty hard to improvise a solo that sounds decent when you are a beginner. Am i right? Its not a bad thing, it will help a newb learn some cool riffs from the guitarists he or she looks up to. Another good thing is it helps people improve their pitch recognition by listening over and over and trying to mimic note for note.
    id say playing it note for note is harder. If you have the right scale and you are a beginner then you can play a simplified solo. Alive has some tricky parts for a beginner. Of course its up to the player. Im sure if i told the eagles to improvise the hotel california solo they'd tell me to piss off :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"