Options

Help With An Overdrive Pedal???

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm in the market for either an Overdrive pedal, or I'm also thinking about the MXR Phase 90??

I tried the Boss SD-1 the other day but just quickly so I couldn't get a real feel for it, I have the DS-1 right now and the guy at the store told me that Overdrive is more of a warmer tone, and not as intense.

I was thinking I could have both individual sounds and also mix the 2.

I know that the TS9 is very popular but it's a little expensive and I don't have a tube amp.

What else should I look at as far as Overdrives go, and should I get this before the MXR??
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Run, don't walk to http://www.shannon-effects.com order a Shannon Distortion which is actually a modified version of his famous overdrive for less midrange and more of a fullrange sound. Turn the volume up and the gain down. Rejoice. best 99 bucks you will spend, if that dosen't work, come and see me.

Then again what kind of amp do you have, and what do you hope to accomplish with modulation? In my experience, Modulation should come after gain effects, because they are used more sparingly.

and the SD1 is a good pedal as is the BD2 should you go those ways. The BD2 also sounds decent in solid state amps like the SD1. They sound good toegther too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the SD-1 is probably a good bet. it worked into a solid state amp for jonny greenwood after all.

i think it's a little less muddy than a tubescreamer personally.

i hate DS-1s. they make good doorstops.

and when the time comes, the phase 90 is a fine pedal.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:
    the SD-1 is probably a good bet. it worked into a solid state amp for jonny greenwood after all.

i think it's a little less muddy than a tuberscreamer personally.

i hate DS-1s. they make good doorstops.

and when the time comes, the phase 90 is a fine pedal.

I like my SD-1, especially when paired with the BD-2, thats definitely an interesting sound that needs tweaking. I have an DS-2 for distortion, which I kind of like the setting I've found with it. Combine it with either the SD-1 or BD-2 and it starts to sound like crap though. Again, it all needs more tweaking.
  • Options
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    Run, don't walk to http://www.shannon-effects.com order a Shannon Distortion which is actually a modified version of his famous overdrive for less midrange and more of a fullrange sound. Turn the volume up and the gain down. Rejoice. best 99 bucks you will spend, if that dosen't work, come and see me.
    yes yes yes.

if i didn't already have a shannon OD, Ibanez SD-9, and a Keeley BD-2 i wouldn't think twice about it.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    I'm really leaning towards the Boss Blues Driver!!

Is it just a different sort of Overdrive???

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    I'm really leaning towards the Boss Blues Driver!!

Is it just a different sort of Overdrive???
    It's more of a natural break-up sounding pedal...totally awesome.

not sure how it'd sound through a solid state amp though. Get yourself a tube amp:)

also, the Phase 90 is cool too. Once you get it do the r28 mod (extremely easy) and it'll sound much smoother.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    the bd-2 wont be good through a solid state....
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options

What would??

.NJD.
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

depends on the amp size. They sound good in the Transtube Peavy Envoy 10's and 12" and my keeley sounded great in my Peavy Basic 50.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    AS far as we know.... there are 9 Shannon distortions left... ordered mine yesterday.

:D
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    What kind of guitar do you play and through what kind of amp. These things will influence the types of od/distortion units that I tend to suggest :)
  • Options
    It's more of a natural break-up sounding pedal...totally awesome.

not sure how it'd sound through a solid state amp though. Get yourself a tube amp:)

also, the Phase 90 is cool too. Once you get it do the r28 mod (extremely easy) and it'll sound much smoother.

I'm doing the r28 mod right now. I really noticed the intense distortion at practice last night and this seems logical.
  • Options
    The phase r28 REALLY does make a huge difference. The pedal sounds amazing now. No volume peaks, it's quieter and it doesn't have that really strong boost.

SMOOTH!
  • Options
    I don't have anything too special:

An Epiphone SG

and A Traynor Guitar Mate 20

.NJD.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Since it's been omitted so far:

DigiTech Bad Monkey overdrive.

I'd second the Shannon OD as well, but since price seems to be an issue...

The DigiTech is probably the best bang-for-the-buck OD out there.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    Since it's been omitted so far:

DigiTech Bad Monkey overdrive.

I'd second the Shannon OD as well, but since price seems to be an issue...

The DigiTech is probably the best bang-for-the-buck OD out there.

Eric's selling the remainder of the his stock (a couple comps and distortions) for $99.00 including shipping.
  • Options
    i'd just say i wouldn't personaly be able to justify purchasing a phase effect if i dindn't already have a fat OD\dist. sound ...

I can count the number of times i have used phase without distortion on my left hand ... seriously ... maybe it's fun to play something like Given To Fly ... but I use phase like 99% of the time in conjunction with distortion\gain ... it's just not that much fun to hear a jangley thin clean guitar go even more jangley ... imho.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?