First Guitar Lesson Tonight!!

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited January 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been playing for over a year now but got a few lessons for Christmas.

I'm pretty pumped just to get that extra step :)

Anyway, thought i'd share.
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    ok cool, i never played but guitar,

good luck to you in the future!

i just play piano and drums
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Enjoy. Soak up as much info as you can!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • awesome.
    you should be able to knock out the solo to Freebird now, no problems!

congrats!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    I've been playing for over a year now but got a few lessons for Christmas.

I'm pretty pumped just to get that extra step :)

Anyway, thought i'd share.

do they come to your house or do you head off somewhere? i need to find one where i go somewhere else but i don't really want to end up in some group lesson with a bunch of 12 year olds that can shred my ass into the ground or anything.
  • I took lessons for about a month 5 years ago. I had a pretty good instructor and he taught me the rudiments of the blues scale and how to use my ear. That's all I needed for lessons.
  • exhausted wrote:
    do they come to your house or do you head off somewhere? i need to find one where i go somewhere else but i don't really want to end up in some group lesson with a bunch of 12 year olds that can shred my ass into the ground or anything.

No just a place in town, but it's one on one. :)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    exhausted wrote:

When I was looking for lessons I just looked in the online yellow pages and called the first place that said guitars. Luck of the draw, found a great teacher and I go to him. Most places wouldn't do group lessons, I don't think.
  • lessons were ok, but i feel working on my own has payed off a lot more. enjoy the lessons, play hard
  • lessons were ok, but i feel working on my own has payed off a lot more. enjoy the lessons, play hard
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    lessons were ok, but i feel working on my own has payed off a lot more. enjoy the lessons, play hard
    same here...learned on my own, 7 years ago

all4
  • i took lessons, and a few years later i was a teacher at the same music school

its great to have someone there to ask questions of (not that the teacher has all the answers!)
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • well how was the lesson?
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • sj_2150sj_2150 Posts: 275
    i took weekly half hour bass lessons at my school, never practiced and turned up to only half of those lessons :( i was a bad student
    I wish my grass was emo... so then it would cut itself
    http://www.soundclick.com/Arcticangel
    http://www.soundclick.com/Armadillo
  • The one 2 one thing is going to be so much better than group theory shite.
    hope it goes well dude.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I'm going to go against what a few people have said. I have been playing for 11 years but just started taking lessons in October of 2004. It was the best decision I ever made and I am kicking myself for not having started them earlier. Taking lessons doesn't mean you'll lose your style. Sure, you have to practice chords and scales that get a little old, but it's worth it. I am 10X the guitarist I was previous to taking lessons.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • i heartily agree Binfrog, I've been musing with the idea myself recently. i would like to learn some of the complpex blues runs i never really got to grips with.

you're bang on there: you wont lose your cool or style, i think it will only increase your awareness of the neck, and hopefully boost your style!
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • It went really well!! :)

We played Last Kiss and when i told him that Pearl Jam was my favourite band he busted into Alive :)

.NJD.