MXR Phase 90

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
I played this the other day for the first time at the store and was just blown away!!

I played it through this beauty American Tele and a Blues Junior........so that may have helped, but it was just great.

It was so simple but so awesome at the same time, I'm looking to pick up a used one around here, but it was only $99 CAN brand new which is solid.

Anyone else use this, is there anything else worth checking out ??
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i had one. i thought it was great. i only got rid of it because i bought one of the shannon phasers so it was a bit redundant.

but both the phase 90 and the ehx small stone are great in their own ways.
  • phase 90 is definately a great pedal, for 100 bucks, id pick it up.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
    and canadian at that.

that's what, $3.50 american?

:D
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    and canadian at that.

that's what, $3.50 american?

:D

:p

I'm hoping to pick it up for like $60 used :)

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • TheLuckyOnesTheLuckyOnes Posts: 472
    yeah i've owned two

so simply cool , definitely a classic

the first one i owned sorta never worked right
    it just sorta chewed up my sound
    but i got so used to it, that it became a big part of my sound

that one got stolen
    the replacement works great
    but i dont want it to!!

it does sound great tho
    or i wouldn't have bought it a second time
    knowing i would be getting a different sound

Small Stone is pretty great too
    much deeper phasing
    more extreme sound

that one was stolen with my 90
    havent replaced yet
    costs at the most 80.

It's a really terrific pedal (i own one :D).

I've heard wonderous things about those shannon phasers, but for the money you might not find another pedal of any kind with as much value as the phase90.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I love mine. Simple and affordable but totally solid. Mine was a bit harsh so I did the r28 mod and it improved it greatly.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I love mine. Simple and affordable but totally solid. Mine was a bit harsh so I did the r28 mod and it improved it greatly.

I think I picked mine up for about $60.00 a few years ago.

I'll admit it doesn't get a whole lot of use, but what modulation pedal really does? I run it slow usually on clean for 'Rooster' like tones.

I run it on the lead channel for *gasp* er... tapping.

:)

The r28 mod is easy. I don't really know if I like it better without the resistor, but it's too late now :)
    I just had a guy offer me one with the R28 mod??

Anyone know much about that??

This is what he said:

I have an Orange block letter re-issue Phase 90 for which I did the R28 mod (makes it sound like the vintage and classic Phase 90). It doesn't have the mid-EQ bump and distortion that comes with the newer phase 90's......it's more like the script mode on the EVH striped version.

.NJD.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I just had a guy offer me one with the R28 mod??

Anyone know much about that??

This is what he said:

I have an Orange block letter re-issue Phase 90 for which I did the R28 mod (makes it sound like the vintage and classic Phase 90). It doesn't have the mid-EQ bump and distortion that comes with the newer phase 90's......it's more like the script mode on the EVH striped version.

Basically, he just cracked it open, and took out one of the resistors. It makes the phase effect smoother, and retains it at higher volumes rather than breaking up. It makes it sound more natural. I've done it to mine.
    Basically, he just cracked it open, and took out one of the resistors. It makes the phase effect smoother, and retains it at higher volumes rather than breaking up. It makes it sound more natural. I've done it to mine.

So would you go for it then?

Or would you get the normal one?

.NJD.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    So would you go for it then?

Or would you get the normal one?

I don't like the distortion that occured on the normal one I tried, so yes, get the modded one.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Ok, here's where I'm at:

I just got email #2 and this guy will sell me his for $50 but he said it has some wear and tear and no R28 mod.

Or...

$60 - for the R28 mod and an adaptor.

When I played it in the store I loved it, and that was without the mod, so I would be buying this without even hearing it...that's my ONLY concern.

If I loved it in stock, will I love it with the mod?

Any help is great guys,

(right now I'm leaning towards the modded one)

.NJD.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Go for the cheaper one if you already know you like the sound. If you find you want to try the sound of the mod, just take out the resistor, it can't be that hard, can it?