Looking For A New Amp

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Alrighty,

Right now I just have a Traynor 20 watt solid state, which is perfectly fine for just practicing in my room, but I've gotten alot better since I purchased this and it's time for something new.

I'm probably looking at a nice combo with a really solid overdrive and clean channel.

I obviously play tones of PJ and love Mike's tone, but I'm also looking for a real "Black Crowes" sort of tone, real bluesy and warm :)

Anyway, the guy at my music store showed me this Traynor:

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18&id=238

and said it had 3 channels, an awesome clean a great boost and a dirty.

He said it's like a mix of a Marshall and a Fender, but less expensive??

And I was talkin to a guy last night who had this amp:

http://fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0213202000

and he said it was great.......

I haven't even began to play them yet, but wanted to know what else you guys could suggest, or what to look for when buying.

I was thinking about a head and cab but that's just way too much for now i think, and unnecessary.....One day :)

I don't plan on buying it until the summer time, but I wanna start looking now, so I find the right one :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks!!!!
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I have a different kind of Fender amp (probably a bit cheaper), but i can say that i really like it.

the OD is nice and warm but gives you plentyyyyyyyy of drive.

the clean is nice too.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • the deluxe's overdrive is crap, thats the best way i can put it

i have a traynor YCV40wr

its amazing, deffinantly worth the price...its perfect for PJ stuff, its very versitile

clean channel is to die for
    overdrive channel is great by itself...smothe and gets the job done
    the boost is not a seperate channel, it works only with the OD channel...at a low volume it basically just gives bassy sounds, so its not good at low volumes, once you get past volume 1.5, then its PERFECT for leads

some hints on the amp:
    when you turn the amp up loud on the OD turn the treble way down....
    make sure the presence knob isnt past 7, you will see why
    i find that having the reverb between 2 and 3 is a great sound
    clean channel - have the bass no more past 5 or 6

its deffinantly worth every penny
    buy it off ebay, i got mine for only 450$ and it sounds like an amp thats worth 1500-2000$
    i like it better than any other amp ive personally played

40 watts tube is fuckin LOUD, you wont need an extension cab
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • The 40T will be an awesome amp. It'll react a bit differently than HHV's because it has 2 ten inch speakers as opposed to 1 12 inch speaker. The circuitry is exactly the same, and as he said, it'll be very loud. Nice amps for certain. I keep meaning to sell mine and get one of these: http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=318&cat=18&type=32 but every time I go into the store, they've sold the one they just got in.

These amps ARE the best for what you pay for them. You can't go wrong. I'm actually surprised they haven't REALLY jacked up the prices on them. I got a first run YCV80 in 2002 and it was cheap. I paid like $650 new. Best decision I ever made.
  • yo dirty...my dad wants to learn how to play guitar and hes got some money ;) and a pretty big house down in virginia
    last week he baught himself a mexican strat and he asked me to recommend him an amp, he said he wanted something loud yet sounded amazing for under 700$, so he got the 50BLUE! should be coming to his house sometime this week, he got it on ebay for about 570$ off ebay....im going down there next week since i have the week off...ill let you know ;)

i think its hilarious how everyone is getting a traynor now...people on here, my dad, my friends, its great....
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • The 40T will be an awesome amp. It'll react a bit differently than HHV's because it has 2 ten inch speakers as opposed to 1 12 inch speaker. The circuitry is exactly the same, and as he said, it'll be very loud. Nice amps for certain. I keep meaning to sell mine and get one of these: http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=318&cat=18&type=32 but every time I go into the store, they've sold the one they just got in.

These amps ARE the best for what you pay for them. You can't go wrong. I'm actually surprised they haven't REALLY jacked up the prices on them. I got a first run YCV80 in 2002 and it was cheap. I paid like $650 new. Best decision I ever made.

What's the difference??
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.