Mike's Strat

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Mike's Sunburst Strat has to be the coolest looking one i've ever seen i love that beaten up look so much...they should definately make a Mike McCready Signiture...i'd buy it....the only cool old looking one right now is the Rory Gallagher edition...any thoughts on Mike's guitar??
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Mike would never sell out to Fender like that. If you really want a worn out Strat, you should earn it by playing for years like him. and it's not really a special signature model, it's just a 1958 (1959 has the rosewood fingerboard) strat. One of those goes for about $18,000 on ebay.

On a lighter note, http://www.giventowail.com/new/gear/guitars/index.php :)
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
  • Mike would never sell out to Fender like that. If you really want a worn out Strat, you should earn it by playing for years like him.

Well said...i totally agree with you...you have to earn a look like that...great call!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Mike would never sell out to Fender like that. If you really want a worn out Strat, you should earn it by playing for years like him.

Well said...i totally agree with you...you have to earn a look like that...great call!!

The custom shop will build you whatever you want they do have a team built 59 now so maybe 25 - 2600 could get you that strat, but you'll have to earn the relicing. If you want one that looks exactly the same it will run you about 5K. Still 5 to 15K off an original, but pricey none the same, however when you look at the stuff gibson charges for (almost 5K for a Tom Murphy finish) it's not too bad a deal if you have the scratch. I just feel like there are other people who can build a great guitar for far less. I'm kind of looking to build my own inspired signiture.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • My Les Paul has earned about 5 years of solid abuse, and it doesn't rock at all anymore. It's almost dead. :(

I need a strat to destroy next!

:)
  • Yeah, I wanted to get one of these, so I searched Ebay. They are selling one for $33,000 forget that. I've seen other places that had them for $9000. I'm sorry, but that is too much to pay for a guitar, then again, someone just bought a PS3 for $9000.
    Alpine Valley 06-13-99 [EV-Solo]
    Alpine Valley 10-8-00 (The Icebowl)
    Chicago 05-16-06, 05-17-06
    Lollapalooza 08-05-07
    Chicago 08-22-08 [EV Solo]
    Chicago 08-23-09, 08-24-09
    Chicago 06-28-11, 06-29-11 [EV Solo]
    PJ20 Alpine Valley 09-03-11, 09-04-11
    Wrigley Field 07-19-13
    Wrigley Field 08-20-16, 08-22-16
  • As sick as mike look's... i LOVE stone's red strat

http://www.mikelull.com/Stars%20Guitars/images/stones_strat.jpg
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • As sick as mike look's... i LOVE stone's red strat

I have a friend with a Custom Shop '62 Relic in Fiesta Red, and it's similar to Stone's (except his is the real deal and has a lot more paint missing). Personally, I wouldn't pay outrageous prices for a factory annihilated guitar, but whenever I strap on his CS strat, a little bit of me feels like Stone.
  • I have a beaten up squier that I have had for only 4 years but it sounds amazing. It's black though but still, just constant play gets you an amazing sound
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Yeah, I wanted to get one of these, so I searched Ebay. They are selling one for $33,000 forget that. I've seen other places that had them for $9000. I'm sorry, but that is too much to pay for a guitar, then again, someone just bought a PS3 for $9000.

$9000 for a PS3!!?!?!?!?!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    As sick as mike look's... i LOVE stone's red strat

Do I spy Grovers on that strat?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • My Les Paul has earned about 5 years of solid abuse, and it doesn't rock at all anymore. It's almost dead. :(

I need a strat to destroy next!

:)

i garuntee you unless you smash the guitar, or purposely go out of your way to ruin it, you wont destroy it! The pots may need replacing, or the switch, but other than that, you cant kill em, and the more you wear them, the better they feel!

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • i garuntee you unless you smash the guitar, or purposely go out of your way to ruin it, you wont destroy it! The pots may need replacing, or the switch, but other than that, you cant kill em, and the more you wear them, the better they feel!

I think I've actually changed the pots out a couple times. Push-Pulls wear out pretty damn fast if you use them a lot.

It's more the set-neck that's causing the problems. The neck feels so freakin' weird, and the frets have shifted slightly. I know the frets can be redressed and filed, but I doubt the neck will ever have it's original feel. It's not BAD, but it's not as good as it used to be.

I blame Southern Ontario's climate. Hot and humid as hell in the summer, cold as hell in the winter, with, for some reason, no transition zone. :mad:
  • I think I've actually changed the pots out a couple times. Push-Pulls wear out pretty damn fast if you use them a lot.

It's more the set-neck that's causing the problems. The neck feels so freakin' weird, and the frets have shifted slightly. I know the frets can be redressed and filed, but I doubt the neck will ever have it's original feel. It's not BAD, but it's not as good as it used to be.

I blame Southern Ontario's climate. Hot and humid as hell in the summer, cold as hell in the winter, with, for some reason, no transition zone. :mad:

for st john british columbia. plus 7 on friday, by sunday night, 29 inches of snow, that happend 3 weekends ago.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Mike would never sell out to Fender like that. If you really want a worn out Strat, you should earn it by playing for years like him. and it's not really a special signature model, it's just a 1958 (1959 has the rosewood fingerboard) strat. One of those goes for about $18,000 on ebay.

On a lighter note, http://www.giventowail.com/new/gear/guitars/index.php :)
    err...i dont think he's been playing it since 1958?!?!i bet Mike would think its an honour if Fender approached him.Frusciante hasnt been playing his fucked up strat for 40 years either
    Cornell pwns u
  • MetalGod75 wrote:
    err...i dont think he's been playing it since 1958?!?!i bet Mike would think its an honour if Fender approached him.Frusciante hasnt been playing his fucked up strat for 40 years either

im sure hes done more damage in the last 10 years than what was accumulated in the first 30. remember, he wouldnt buy a peice of shit vintage, he would buy a "Fairly in shape" one. if you look at pic's/video's from the mid-90's when he got that strat, it looks alot better than it does now.

• im sure hes done more damage in the last 10 years than what was accumulated in the first 30. remember, he wouldnt buy a peice of shit vintage, he would buy a "Fairly in shape" one. if you look at pic's/video's from the mid-90's when he got that strat, it looks alot better than it does now.

This is true. I would LOVE to get a beat to hell strat though.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    If thats the same Strat he's using on SNL for Rearviewmirror, with Emilio Estevez as the host, it had stickers on it, which is crazy. And isn't the one he uses for Ledbetter and Even Flow a 59? Not a 58? When I saw them at Montreal last year, after Even Flow Eddie said, "Mike McCreedy and the 1959 Fender Stratocaster."
  • if you want a cool relicd (sp?) guitar check out the nash guitars. he makes basses, strats, teles, and now jazzmasters. he takes vintage bodies and necks and hardware and ages and relics them by hand. he will not discuss his methods but these guitars are really sweet, they look beautiful and play even better. my bass player's uncle owns killer vintage guitars in st louis and killer vintage is nash guitars top distributor in the US. our bass player plays a cool beat up nash jazz bass. if you would slap a fender logo on the headstock you would never know that it wasn't a real fender. this nash guy used to take custom orders so you could buy a 59 strat from him and have it beat up like mike's if you wanted to, but his site says he is not taking custom orders at the moment. check it out if you get a chance, especially the galleries.

http://www.nashguitars.com/
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • if you want a cool relicd (sp?) guitar check out the nash guitars. he makes basses, strats, teles, and now jazzmasters. he takes vintage bodies and necks and hardware and ages and relics them by hand. he will not discuss his methods but these guitars are really sweet, they look beautiful and play even better. my bass player's uncle owns killer vintage guitars in st louis and killer vintage is nash guitars top distributor in the US. our bass player plays a cool beat up nash jazz bass. if you would slap a fender logo on the headstock you would never know that it wasn't a real fender. this nash guy used to take custom orders so you could buy a 59 strat from him and have it beat up like mike's if you wanted to, but his site says he is not taking custom orders at the moment. check it out if you get a chance, especially the galleries.

http://www.nashguitars.com/

Those look sick! I'm just lookin for a sunburst mexi, beat to hell already.
  • moster78 wrote:
    If thats the same Strat he's using on SNL for Rearviewmirror, with Emilio Estevez as the host, it had stickers on it, which is crazy. And isn't the one he uses for Ledbetter and Even Flow a 59? Not a 58? When I saw them at Montreal last year, after Even Flow Eddie said, "Mike McCreedy and the 1959 Fender Stratocaster."

the 59 has a rosewood board, the 58 has a maple board. both beat to shit.

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    the 59 has a rosewood board, the 58 has a maple board. both beat to shit.

Yeah, I guess I just always assume that when the word's Mike and Strat are used in the same sentence we're talking about the 59.