Present Tense

Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ever since I saw them play this in Toronto last September I wanted to learn it.....but I never did :(

After watching Mike play it last night on Letterman, it's amazing how they play it live.....

Does anyone know how to play it the way Mike does live??
"I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 5,135
    present tense was the first riff i learned, i forgot it now...haha i should learn it again

but the distortion mike uses is just fuckin fantastic

his tone from Borgata 2 when he played it is the tone that i drool over
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    present tense was the first riff i learned, i forgot it now...haha i should learn it again

but the distortion mike uses is just fuckin fantastic

his tone from Borgata 2 when he played it is the tone that i drool over

Ya man!!

His tone on that Letterman performance last night was just amazing!!

That's what caught my eye last night, and when they played it in Toronto.....

He plays it different though than it is on No Code........slightly

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    I learned how to play it in drop-D, which is how GTW used to have the tab posted as. It sounds good, but not QUITE right.

They recently updated it to a totally different tuning and it sounds fantastic. I totally recommend learning it.

As to how Mike plays it live? I'd need to watch the video to see, but I bet he uses the open tuning.

I'd check right now, but I'm freakin' slow internet.
    On giventowail it's in DADGAD....

Is that how you played it??

.NJD.
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    On giventowail it's in DADGAD....

Is that how you played it??

That's how I'm doing it now yeah.

Before (like two weeks ago), they had it as DADGBE.
    That's how I'm doing it now yeah.

Before (like two weeks ago), they had it as DADGBE.

Oh really...

The guy who put my strings on last time did a really shitty job and I'm scared to tune my guitar to anything other than Standard because I don't know if I'll have enough slack to drop my E to a D......:(:(

I don't know how he could have screwed up, he said he knew exactly what he was doing and that he does it all the time.....I'll have to do my own next time.

(it plays perfect in Standard but I haven't tried anything alse since...)

.NJD.
    i just listened to it about 4x in a row and remembered how to play it

on GTW they have you hitting 12th fret on B (B) and 12th fret on D (d)...i hit 14th fret on G (A) and then 12th fret on D (D)

the chorus part is fuckin great
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    i just got the tone...omg im like.......AHHHHHHHHH
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    What'd you dial in with?
  • Thin HairThin Hair Posts: 67
    save me trolling through all the tabs, which other pj tabs have tuning dadgad, i tuned for given to fly and cany be bothered tuning back just yet.
    ' take 2 bottles into the shower?......not me, I've got no fucking hair!'

Wembley 00..Astoria 06..Albany 06..Hartford 06..Barcelona 06..Paris 06..Wembley 07..Dusseldorf 07..Nijmegen 07
  • rickprickp Posts: 219
    Thin Hair wrote:
    save me trolling through all the tabs, which other pj tabs have tuning dadgad, i tuned for given to fly and cany be bothered tuning back just yet.

There's a tuning guide on the site that lists all the songs w/ different tunings.