Music Theory???

slider292slider292 Posts: 2
edited April 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello,

I've been playing guitar for about a year now and it feels like I've hit a plateau. I've mastered basic chords, power chords, simple solos, etc. but I now find myself unfullfilled with simply finding new tabs to play. I'd like to learn why things sound good together, how to create a good riff or solo and how to play music without going to the internet and memorizing where to put my fingers. I'm sure some of you have had similar experiences and I was hoping you could suggest some ideas to get out of this rut. Is there classes where you can learn basic music theory, or software you could recommmend? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    I've learned some basics from internet sites and a few books. I am no master and am still learning this stuff, now but I do have a grasp on the basics (chord formation, chromatic scale, major/minor pentatonic scales). I would suggest starting by learning the chromatic scale, major/minor scales, chord formation and key signatures. Just don't get too ahead of yourself at the beginning getting into modes and crazy scales, get a grasp of the basics first.

i found this helpful:
    http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html

also: that site has a lot of good lessons and the people on the discussion forum are great for answering your questions.

I bought a book on learning blues guitar for beginers and the intro had a good little tutorial on theory, most books will have an intro on theory that are easy to understand.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Get the Berkley Method. That'll teach ya :)
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Definitely take weekly lessons. I started taking them around a year and a half ago after playing for 8-9 years. Easily the best thing I ever did for my playing.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    ive tried learning online and i still dont feel like i really understand as much as i want to. im taking a music theory class at my school next year though which should be helpful
  • I took 5 lessons a few months ago and it helped me dramatically :)

Maybe you could try that, 5 isn't even very many and I'm so much better than before because of them :)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • I took music theory I & II in high school and plan on taking more music courses when I go to college this fall...This is the easy way to do things
    When this just feels like spinning plates.
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I'm taking Fundamentals of Music right now in college. At the moment, we're learning minor, augmented, and diminished scales and chords :)

I learned a lot in this class. Now I need to figure out how to apply all that knowledge on the guitar...
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll start by taking a few lessons....
  • I think lessons are a great way to spread your wings, like so many said above!
    Learning a few scales, especially the pentatonic ones, and learning the notes on your fretboard will help you advance. Most rock and blues music comes out of the major and minor pentatonic scales, which really are the easiest ones to learn, too.

One thing that happens with guitar tab is that a lot of people learn to play llike parrots learn to talk. They just imitate. You can learn some great licks an chords that way, but like you say, you need to step out of that box.
    You would also do well to shut the computer off, and put on some music you like, and figure the chords and solos out by ear. Try learning some bending and hammer-ons and pull-offs and slides, too. Those techniques add the voice to your playing!
    Most major rock and blues guitar players learned by ear, and developed their style, then became stars,,, then as time went by, studied music to advance themselves. I think the combination of learning by ear and taking lessons is the fastest way to go for most people.

Your guitar, your amp, scales chords and notes are just the tools you use to make music. It's up to the player to make the magic happen after that! :cool:
    You want to be able to close your eyes and play what comes out of your head. Try just playing along with a song instead of using tab. You'll stumble through a lot of bad notes and chords, but it'll come to you, then the next song will be easier,,,, and after a while, you learn to anticipate what's coming in a song and you can almost play a new song on the spot with a band!

Ok, I'm babbling,,

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

5 years on and i don't remember a damn thing

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 371
    I highly recommend picking up 'Chords & Scales for Guitarists' by David Mead. It's one of the best music books I've read.