Profesional recording software? (got a band and we want to record)

SebaSeba Posts: 14
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
To all of you professional/amateur recoders out there...
my band and I are trying to record some material on PC, and want to manage or edit the recorded audio, to make it sound nice... :)
What software do you recommend to do this? I've been looking but every software I've found seems to be too simple... I need something pretty "complete" or more professional given the kind of recordings we wanna do. I saw other thread on the board where someone recommended Audicity... but I need other options.
Oh!... and what soundboard do you recommend?

Thanx in advance!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Apparantly ProTools is the standard.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The more "complete" you need your solution to be, the more expensive it will be.

My advice?

Yamaha DM 1000 into Cubase. That is a serious setup which can be had for under $6000 total if you buy the board used.
  • sweetsweet Posts: 1
    Suggests to try your recording using FlexiMusic Wave Editor, an audio recording and editing software. Easy to use, cost effective and affordable software.
    http://www.fleximusic.com/waveditor/overview.htm
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    I'd like to drop some science on ya...in a good way.

the software is only as professional as the person using it. ProTools will not make one Brendan Obrien for instance :)

Having said that, Cubase SX4 or ProTools are great. If you want to get real jiggy with it, Samplitude sounds the best IMO.
  • I own Pro Tools, and my band has used this for recording two album/demos. I agree that it only sounds as professional as the person operating it. I would suggest going you your local music store. Guitar Center/Mars Music etc. and ask lots of questions. Some colleges also offer courses on Pro Tools and recording techniques. If you decide to record yourself, the least you can do is hire a profession to master your recordings this helps infinitely. Good luck.
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    Yeah, this is a very deep, but rewarding topic. Once you get past a certain level the differences in software have mostly to do with the layout, and "feel" and then maybe one or two features which that particular application concentrates on to differentiate it from the crowd. That is to say discerning between current versions of Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, Samplitude, and Performer is like discerning between amps or guitars. There are definately differences but there is no clear "Winner". It will depend on what you want to do.

I agree with one of the earlier posters that Samplitude sounds great, but it doesn't have much of Midi spec if you are looking to do any work with midi. Even if you are a band midi can come in *really* handy for recording. Midi controlled effects, gates and verbs can be pretty nifty.

Logic on the other hand is awesome for midi, but a bit throny for straight audio.

Pro Tools is an industry standard, but then so is the post office. It's ok, but I've used it for years and find it a bit clunky. Also you want to check your terms. There are several different versions of Pro Tools out there (LE, TDM etc.)

Cubase is the same audio engine as Nuendo... but Nuendo has additional features for syncing audio up with digital video.

Now pile on to this that unless you have a botomless pit full of money somewhere you need to balance your software needs with your hardware needs (this includes hard drives... you will need a LOT of hard drive(s) for digital audio) and probably control surfaces (fader boxes).

So I would strongly second the suggestion you go to guitar centrer... then call Sweetwater... then make friends with / buy beers for everyone you know with first hand experience with software recording solutions. Get as many horror / success stories as you can, and take notes.

Figure out what you are trying to do, and then find the best solution for you.