Help me pick out my Birthday present!

PearlJamGodsPearlJamGods Posts: 14
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
I am about to turn 18 in October and really want to get a guitar. I dont know anything about it though. I really am so interested and inspired to play, I cant wait. And thats where you come in, I am looking for a middle of the road guitar, not a piece of junk, but not a porsche either ya know. I don know what would be better, electric or acoustic, Im a total novice so any help would be appreciated. I really just want to learn to play some great rock songs, by pearl of course
My favs are Black
alive
Breathe
Small Town
Long Road
Jeremy
even flow
Im not expecting to play these over night so please dont take me as some over zealous teen who thinks he's gonna be on stage tomorrow.I just wrote those down so you could have a better idea of my tastes to point me in the right direction of electric or acoustic. Thank you very much. I would appreciate just a foot in the door, of where to start looking and mabe a name to look at, Ill do the leg work for info, but any help would be appreciated
Thank You all very much
Jeremy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You should really give us the names of some different bands that you like.
  • I'd probably just start with something like this. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519633/ This will get you off and running for under 300. You could get a nice fender strat for 400, and maybe just a little practice amp for 100. Like these
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/510000/
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/d=tp?q=practice+amp
    "I had a false belief I thought I came here to stay... we're all just visiting."
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    If you are serious about learning the instrument then get your self a nice acoustic. You have the rest of your life to get lazy and play electrics and allow your chops to go to hell :)
    In all seriousness, learning on an acoustic will only make you a better player. What ever you have for a budget will get you a nice playing axe. In my opinion, you are better off spending more then you can afford because you will enjoy the guitar for much longer. Before buying anything new, check out some used dealers, guitar shows and play as many different guitars as you can. If you are uncomfortable in that setting, as many new players are then just get a Martin D15 if you can spring the 700 bones, or look for a nice used one, I see them all the time. That guitar will provide you with decades of enjoyment. If you have more money to spend then you have other options.

If you must have an electric then I would suggest a Strat as they are harder to play and will reward you more down the road.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Thank you all very much. As far as brands the only ones I even know are Fender and Gibson so Im truely a rookie there. I will definitly check out some of the ones posted. My price range would def be 300 or less. It seems like the over all verdict was acoustic so I will get looking there. Thank you all again and if their are any more suggestions, Id love to hear them!
    Thank you
    Jeremy
  • if u want something thats not a piece of crap yet not amazing

i would suggest just a regular Fender Mexican Strat or any Schecter
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • Ok, I have one more question. I have read alot of reviews and I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. The Ibanez IJS40 Jumpstart pack-249.99
    Or
    Squire Strat Pack- 279.99
    I am leaning towards the Strat simply because I know the name. But perhaps there is more I need to know?
    Please remember Im a beginer looking at no more then 300. Thank you so much again, I truely appreciate your help.
    Thank you
    Jeremy
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    Ok, I have one more question. I have read alot of reviews and I have pretty much narrowed it down to two. The Ibanez IJS40 Jumpstart pack-249.99
    Or
    Squire Strat Pack- 279.99
    I am leaning towards the Strat simply because I know the name. But perhaps there is more I need to know?
    Please remember Im a beginer looking at no more then 300. Thank you so much again, I truely appreciate your help.
    Thank you
    Jeremy

Here you go, under $300 and it should play well:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/s=acoustic/search/detail/base_pid/518384/
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I've been learning on an acoustic for 3 months now (Ibanez Jampack), and I'm getting my first electric for my birthday too! :) (December). What I plan on getting will depend on my budget at the time of purchase, lol. If I can afford it, I will most certainly try to get an American Standard Stratocaster, if not, I'll just get either a Squier , a Yamaha Pacifica, or an Ibanez.

Someone mentioned before that strats are hard to play... really? I actually heard that the Les Pauls were the hard ones to play and that the Strats were faster and easier to play for beginners... well, I guess I'll have to check that out myself :D haha

By the way, I don't think there's a certain guitar you need based solely on the list of songs you want to play.... I play electric songs on my acoustic, and they sound awesome! I play Alive, do the evolution, corduroy, betterman, not for you, go, rockin' in the free world, etc. and they all sound great. To me it just feels like playing an MTV Unplugged, haha.

Anyway, Good luck with your guitar search! :D I'm on a guitar search "mission" myself...so hopefully I'll find the right one by the time my birthday comes (I'm turning 18 too...by the way) :D

Peace,

Juli
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • I am about to turn 18 in October and really want to get a guitar. I dont know anything about it though. I really am so interested and inspired to play, I cant wait. And thats where you come in, I am looking for a middle of the road guitar, not a piece of junk, but not a porsche either ya know. I don know what would be better, electric or acoustic, Im a total novice so any help would be appreciated. I really just want to learn to play some great rock songs, by pearl of course
    My favs are Black
    alive
    Breathe
    Small Town
    Long Road
    Jeremy
    even flow
    Im not expecting to play these over night so please dont take me as some over zealous teen who thinks he's gonna be on stage tomorrow.I just wrote those down so you could have a better idea of my tastes to point me in the right direction of electric or acoustic. Thank you very much. I would appreciate just a foot in the door, of where to start looking and mabe a name to look at, Ill do the leg work for info, but any help would be appreciated
    Thank You all very much
    Jeremy

here's my gift j: buy a squire or whatever people suggest you, the thing you need afterwards is a paranoid grin when you smile at someone, a lovely smile when your friends ask you to play and a huge MikeMC poster above your bed. that will help when the day begins. anyway, auguri, alla tua. yours Guildenstern.
    ThisIsNotAnExit
  • Pearl_Juli wrote:
    I've been learning on an acoustic for 3 months now (Ibanez Jampack), and I'm getting my first electric for my birthday too! :) (December). What I plan on getting will depend on my budget at the time of purchase, lol. If I can afford it, I will most certainly try to get an American Standard Stratocaster, if not, I'll just get either a Squier , a Yamaha Pacifica, or an Ibanez.

Someone mentioned before that strats are hard to play... really? I actually heard that the Les Pauls were the hard ones to play and that the Strats were faster and easier to play for beginners... well, I guess I'll have to check that out myself :D haha

By the way, I don't think there's a certain guitar you need based solely on the list of songs you want to play.... I play electric songs on my acoustic, and they sound awesome! I play Alive, do the evolution, corduroy, betterman, not for you, go, rockin' in the free world, etc. and they all sound great. To me it just feels like playing an MTV Unplugged, haha.

Anyway, Good luck with your guitar search! :D I'm on a guitar search "mission" myself...so hopefully I'll find the right one by the time my birthday comes (I'm turning 18 too...by the way) :D

Peace,

Juli

Whoever told you Les Pauls are hard to play is crazy. They are a bit heavy at first, but every Les Paul I have played has top notch playability and sound.
  • I already got the Mike poster and friends, now for those intense Eddie eyes right
    Thanks
    Jeremy

Anyone else, im leaning towards the squire
  • Ok swear to god last one, how about a Fender DG 16 6 string acoustic. Found one used for 150.
    Thanks
    Jeremy
  • I am about to turn 18 in October and really want to get a guitar. I dont know anything about it though. I really am so interested and inspired to play, I cant wait. And thats where you come in, I am looking for a middle of the road guitar, not a piece of junk, but not a porsche either ya know. I don know what would be better, electric or acoustic, Im a total novice so any help would be appreciated. I really just want to learn to play some great rock songs, by pearl of course
    My favs are Black
    alive
    Breathe
    Small Town
    Long Road
    Jeremy
    even flow
    Thank You all very much
    Jeremy

acoustic. Learn you fingerring. Once you know your notes, electric comes easier. It is very hard to learn on electric. Also, acoustic teaches you the fundamentals, then you can decide if you want to play bass, rythem, etc. first guitar should always be accoustic.
    The only thing I enjoy is having no feelings....being numb rocks!

And I won't make the same mistakes
    (Because I know)
    Because I know how much time that wastes
    (And function)
    Function is the key
  • If your deciding on electric check out the Ibanez S range. well built and cheap for good stuff.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    Ok swear to god last one, how about a Fender DG 16 6 string acoustic. Found one used for 150.
    Thanks
    Jeremy

i got a fender dg-4, plays like a beauty......get it dude, learn it for a year then get en electric, like the man says.