My first electric!

PearlJamGodsPearlJamGods Posts: 14
edited May 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok so I got a acoustic in October and have played a bit and cant wait to take lessons over the summer since Ill be out of college. But I really want an electric as im not a huge fan of acoustic, to play at least. My budget is about 400 give or take so please no suggestion of "just save for a gibson Les Paul" cause its not gonna happen for my first electric. I am looking at a Fender Standard Strat or a Epiphone Les Paul. Which would be a better choice (if either) when I am interested in playing mostly Pearl and things of that era (Nirvana, soundgarden etc) as well as modern rock/grunge. Thanks to any and all that can help:)
Jeremy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    A made in Mexico Strat or Tele would be in that price range and are pretty good from what I've read around here and elsewhere.
  • solracsolrac Posts: 21
    I would say... go for a Fender Strat. Definetly the best guitar for the price you want. It's a very versatile guitar and will give you the classic lead guitar sound you might want. I've owned some Fender products (Jazz Bass & Strat) throughout the years and they are definetly worth it.
    7.18.06 (Finally!)
    6.22.08 (With my little bro!)
  • Thanks! Im thinking a fender is pretty classic so it is prolly a wise choice
  • NullifidianNullifidian Posts: 110
    Thanks! Im thinking a fender is pretty classic so it is prolly a wise choice

Although you can't really go wrong with fender, epiphone are also pretty sweet guitars! I have a les paul and it's done me well these past few years. Lovely sound and lovely to play. Plus they're way more 'rock' than fender :D An epiphone SG would also be another interesting choice! Good luck!
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    I'm very happy with my Strat (96, ocean blue, MIM) even though I got it used. It probably needs a tune up but if you buy yours new, you should be good to go. Remember to put new strings on it when you get it, the Fender strings that come standard aren't as good as Elixer, D'Addario or even Ernie Ball.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Thanks. Yeah I think im gonna get a fender, white black or sunburst. Ill be sure to put new strings on it as from your recommendation. However ive never changed strings before. Is it easy? do I need anything to do it? tools etc. Sorry if I sound like the special ed of guitars here but Im new to the game and Im very greatful for all the help ive received from this board. Thanks alot to all
    Jeremy
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Thanks. Yeah I think im gonna get a fender, white black or sunburst. Ill be sure to put new strings on it as from your recommendation. However ive never changed strings before. Is it easy? do I need anything to do it? tools etc. Sorry if I sound like the special ed of guitars here but Im new to the game and Im very greatful for all the help ive received from this board. Thanks alot to all
    Jeremy

It could be easy, or it could be complicated, especially if you've never done it before. It all depends on the guitar. If its got a non-fixed brdige, you need to put pretty close to the original gauge strings that came on the guitar, anything thicker and you'll have to adjust the springs pulling against the bridge. I had to the first time I changed the strings on my Strat, and I only went from .09's to .10's. That can all be done with a phillips head screwdriver though. If its a fixed bridge, its a little easier.

I'd suggest changing up the strings on your acoustic for practice beforehand. After awhile you get it down. It took me over an hour to change them on my acoustic the first time I tried it.

Good luck!