Guitar Advice, Please Help Me Guys!!

JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, So I am a pretty decent guitarist. By no means am I a soloing fiend, but I can play most of PJ's riffs, DTE, Porch, In Hiding, Red Mosquito, etc. with the exception of GTF, alot of mike's solos stuff like that. Now has come the time where I want to buy a really solid electric guitar. I know this is the question that gets debated all the time, but what should i spend my beans on, a Gibson or a Fender? Right now, I'm leaning towards Gibson...I'm a singer too, and play and sing often, and from what I hear, Gibsons have a thicker sound than Fender, which I think I would want, but I'd like to hear all of your opinions since you are all much more knowledgeable in this area than I am. :-)

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• What's your budget? Remember, a good amp is just as important. And Strat versus Les Paul, neither is better or worse, just different.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • im a huge fender fan, but i know when to recomend a gibson when i need to...what kind of stuff are you lookign to play. in a band?

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Yeah, me and some friends of mine are looking to be putting together a band. More than likely I would be lead singer and some guitar, kind of like Eddie, playing on some, just singing on others (I'm not comparing my abilities in anyway to Ed Ved, but you get my point). Basically, I'm thinking either Gibson, or Fender Tele, from what I have heard from friends and from my own research.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • I'd say go with a Fender-its lighter and the neck is smaller. Gibsons are badass but after a while, your shoulder starts to get tired.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    This question always intrigues me, cos I feel guitars are very personal. If you were a total beginner, it would be different to answer, but since you are an experienced player, it is both easy and hard.
    The general advice to go play a heap is very sound. WArm up before you go, make sure the room ain't too hot, cos it's a bitch when you are pouring sweat all over a guitar youa re trying to decide on.

Then buy the one you fall in love with.

I have a Gibson LP I just adore, haven't played a strat that I felt the same way about, but my ESP KH-2 is very strat like in feel , not sound, and I love her too. I just bought a Gretsch Hot Rod, and I love Violet too.
    Don't buy a guitar you don't feel a connection too, just cos someone reccomended it.
    Personally I have all humbuckers cos when I first started using gain, I couldn't stand the hum, but that may not be an issue for you ,. and there is always a noise gate, which I didn't know about then.
    If I bought a Strat, it would be an SRV signature. Strats are very versatile, but I like Gibbo's better. GIbbo's are usuallu heavier, but I'm a sttrapping lad so who cares, and I find strats are less individual than gibbo's but they are cheaper as well. Your call !!
    Music is not a competetion.
    So no love for the telecasters?

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • A lot depends on what sound you want to get out of the guitar. If you want a fatter sound, the Gibson would be best (especially through a Marshall amp). For a brighter sound, the Strat/Tele is great (think Hendrix or SRV). If you want a sound for a song like Outshined (for example) you'd never get the same tone with a Strat/Tele.
    "Caught a bolt 'a lightnin'...cursed the day he let it go..." - EV
  • Just go to the music store!
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
    So no love for the telecasters?

NAh, when I was young no-one played tele's. Occasionally I would see one on a clip, and it always looked like a strat some-one had done a really bad job on, like a half-fromed idea, which it was really. The fully formed idea was teh strat.
    Since then, they have never iterested me. Boring !!!!!!
    delete
  • NAh, when I was young no-one played tele's. Occasionally I would see one on a clip, and it always looked like a strat some-one had done a really bad job on, like a half-fromed idea, which it was really. The fully formed idea was teh strat.
    Since then, they have never iterested me. Boring !!!!!!

Try having the pleasure I did recently of playing a 52 Reissue Tele through a 59 Bassman.

If you don't like that, you don't like tone.

Mmmmmm.......tone
  • I like the feel of Teles.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    churchie wrote:
    Try having the pleasure I did recently of playing a 52 Reissue Tele through a 59 Bassman.

If you don't like that, you don't like tone.

Mmmmmm.......tone

Yeah I might like it, but I can't love everything.
    I do respect your rihgt to love it though.
    I tend to like my tone a bit dirtier.
    Give me a Lesbian through a pushed channel over straight clean.
  • When I think of Tele's, I think of Ed and Bruce Springstein(I mispelled, I think). I will always remember the image of Bruce and his tele from his box set
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    When I think of Tele's, I think of Ed and Bruce Springstein(I mispelled, I think). I will always remember the image of Bruce and his tele from his box set

Hmm...I like playing alot of their stuff...maybe i should get one...haha.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    When I think of Tele's, I think of Ed and Bruce Springstein(I mispelled, I think). I will always remember the image of Bruce and his tele from his box set
    its actually a modded 1953 esquire :)

BTW, i have a deluxe ash tele, and i absolutely love it! check that out when you get the chance
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    When I see a tele I am always reminded of a project in school shop where I was supposed dto cut out a handle in timber, but I cocked it up, and just kept whittling away at it tring to get it right, until there was bugger all left.
    Tele's look like I tried to make a strat.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014

Yep... for me, Telecasters just have Bruce Springsteen's name written all over them. Is there any other color that is even anywhere near blonde for a tele? :)

I'd love to get a tele if I could afford it and if I had the ability to utilize it properly. But then again, there is pretty much no guitar that I wouldn't get if I was able to.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win