Help on Alive solo!

JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
edited December 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I can get through the first part fairly decently, but I am a little lost on the 2 parts with the quick pulloffs and hammers on the E, G, and B strings. The tabs I've looked at haven't really been that clear at that part, can anyone help me pllllllllleeeeeeeease?

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Assuming it's te studio version, appox. what time in the song are we talking about? I can help you out if I know the time.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    From 4:35 to 4:40 and 5:11 to 5:15.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • e---12
    B
    15p12
    G
    14b--

The very first time you play it, start by bending that 14 on the G, then repeat it like that.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Yeah, I thought you were talking about that part too, but I haven't checked.

Try holding your index finger over 12 on G, B, and E. With your ring finger, kind of half bend 14 on G, then hit E, which will be 12, but since you've got your finger already over it, you can make the note faster. Then 15 on B with your pinky, and take that pinky off. I've found that to be the best way. It's tough, but keep practicing!

I would go over that again to make it make more sense, but i've gotta run! good luck!
    Happiness is only real when shared
    Thanks alot guys, thats definately helping!

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
    what am i bending to on the from the 14 on the G?

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    This is a really common motif in leads, and one I'm still working on. It is the same as the fast bit at the end of the second sweet child of mine solo, with a bit of variation. I'm using a combination of metronome training and reckless abandon. Sometimes you just have to go for it to get through a wall. The orchestra part in Comfortably NUmb is the same pattern as well, just slower and without the bend on the G, for some TAi Chi training,tabbed out in the recent Guitar Legends on PF.

The G string bend is usually a full tone bend.
    This is one of the precious few songs for which there is a published tab, so check the Ten songbook as well.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • what am i bending to on the from the 14 on the G?

I could be completely wrong in saying this, but since the next note on that e string gets hit so shortly after the bend, I don't think it matters. It's almost as if you're still bending it further when you let go of it
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...