Stupid question about a guitar case

Soujiro_SetaSoujiro_Seta Posts: 100
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
This may seem like a really stupid question but ive run out of ideas. I bought an skb hard shell case back in November and it had a weird smell and when i put my guita in it my guitar smelled to so i tried to air it out for a couple of days and the smell didnt go away I tried febreeze and that didnt work either. Ive left it open for about 4 months now and it still smells. I was just wondering is there any way to get rid of the smell? Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• well im guessing you baught it used?

there may be something underneath the linning or the material in the case
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
  • well im guessing you baught it used?

there may be something underneath the linning or the material in the case

nope i bought it new from sam ash
  • yeah this happens often, a smelly case, my hardshell fender that came with my deluxe has a smell...just keep it open for a while, hell, throw somethign scented in there, car air freshner, bag of weed, whatever your into

Harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    My cases smell like cigarettes because that's what the store I bought them from smelled like. I kinda like it. Gives them a rockstar feel.
  • yeah this happens often, a smelly case, my hardshell fender that came with my deluxe has a smell...just keep it open for a while, hell, throw somethign scented in there, car air freshner, bag of weed, whatever your into

Harrison

Ill try that thanks ^_^
  • Ill try that thanks ^_^

seriously, a poorly wrapped 1/4 of weed will have that thing stinking in minutes....

HM

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The only stupid question is the question that you do not ask.

Try stuffing the case with newspaper for a few days. Then, let it sit in some open air.

Packs of silica gel might be in order as well.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    The glue inside the case has not set. It is very common. Leave it open and don't leave the guitar in it. The glue will set in a couple days and problem is solved. You could also have a guitar whose finish has not yet set as well, this is just as common. Same advice, leave it out and it will dry and the smell will go away. No need to put anything in it or do anything else.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    JofZ wrote:
    The glue inside the case has not set. It is very common. Leave it open and don't leave the guitar in it. The glue will set in a couple days and problem is solved. You could also have a guitar whose finish has not yet set as well, this is just as common. Same advice, leave it out and it will dry and the smell will go away. No need to put anything in it or do anything else.

I agree with everything JofZ has said as well.
  • ok i wont put anything in it ill just wait a while longer and see what happens
    And if that doesnt work ill try putting newspapers in it
    Thanks a lot ^_^